Wallstreet - From bad to worse

Zarembo

Contributing member
It started out rather innocently. For some reason my backspace button stopped functioning properly on my Wallstreet. So i did the usual fsck -y to determine if I had some errorls on my hard drive.

It was then I discovered I couldn't do a reboot to even do this check, although the machine would reboot, it would not go into the fsck mode. I tried to remember the most recent installation of software, found it and uninstalled it.

I then tried the same effort to do fsck -y. No such luck! So I tried to reboot into System 9, figuring I could use trusty old Disk Warrior to get me out of this jam. It wouldn't work either. My machine will not let me boot into OS 9, neither on the hard drive or on the Diskwarrior CD rom! So I tried Norton. It only said I had major problems that it couldn't repair as it was on the boot disk.

Instead of going to bed to sleep on it, growing frustrated I tried to reboot in on the network disk mode. This was a big mistake. Now the machine boots, but will not even give me a lighted screen. Just a black screen and nothing else. I've tried to zap the p-ram, reset the machine nothing seems to work.

I'm now letting it time out. No battery and power, hoping against all hopes that it will resolve the problem after the batter has been out for a long period. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.:confused: :confused:

You tried resetting the power management thingy with shift-fn-ctrl-power? That seems to cure all ills with mine! If you've had it open, check your connections too - dodgy connection on the keyboard can cause all sorts of bizarre effects.

I did power reset, it didn't work. So, as I said I unplugged it and came back in a few hours. It restarted, again it would only boot to OS X.

I then uninstalled a program I'd just installed. I ran Diskwarrior, it fixed it. I then ran Norton - it discovered no problems.

Its been working like a dream ever since! Thanks for your suggestion Factor41.

Back