Walmart gaining on iTunes

Over the last few months I have learned something very interesting. Not new by any means, but it really opened my eyes... not everything in print is accurate. :) Duh! you say... well, look at what you all are arguing over.

Let's look at that data closely..

It says... "A survey of 5,000 US individuals, ages 13 or older". They asked 5000 people, and based upon those numbers, created that chart.

Steve said that Apple doing something like 2.5 million per week or at a rate of 140 millions songs a year right now. That means, in April, apple did around 11 millions songs, far exceed the NPD Group's stats of around 4.9. I doubt Apple say a increase from 4.9 in march to 11 million in April. Steve also said they sold 70 million in 12 months. 4.9 x 12 = 58.8 million... so you can see their numbers are way off.

The funny thing is that Walmart didn't officially launch it's service until late March. As far as I know, we have not seen any real numbers from Walmart on what they have seen over the last month on downloads.

I think Apple is leading the market and thus are more freely giving out download numbers than other companies. But many are public so it will just be a matter of time.

Back