wanted: realistic reasons to buy a mac

Originally posted by fuzz
Many Microsoft compatible software is also available in Mac version.

and also, microsoft's mac compatible software is better than the windows version!

how weird... the products for their own OS is worse than the ones for the competitor OS... LOL!!! :D

uh, anim8r - herve's english needs a little work, but i am pretty sure he is saying that apple has been weak in promoting it's instant broadband capabilities and that he thinks this is a strong argument for why a mac is easy to use - a practical reason like what i asked for. if you read enough of herve's posts (and i know you can't miss em) you will see that herve is very pro mac. herve even talks about how great his performa is!!!
but your story interested me too because it sounds like you are saying you connected to dsl without a dsl/cable modem - is that right? i think your point about how easy it is to configure is a good one. which reminds me of one i knew but forgot to tell him - osx has built in firewall!! his dad would never be able to configure it but he would be able to no problem i am sure - so this is another security feature that would make a family feel safer!!
so far these are great but i am sure we are still overthinking some. try to think very basic, like when you first got your mac. what made it easy to learn and use? I know for me one thing was not having to worry i would break it if i did something wrong. osx, with it's security features of administrator and different access priviledges, makes it even more unlikely that anyone else using it could screw it up.:) this is good. you folks are really helping me think this out. ( i want him to get a nice new mac!!!)

You must see one thing the mac that I have ordened from Easyware has only a value of 799$. Downgrading this configuration would be a shame. "I have information from Steve Jobs that there maybe a new Imac with a similar configuration." I'm afraid that less costly upgrades are in the make and that the internetpc I'm using has to continue it's life. BTW I have money(only fryday or saternday) and my dad don't likes the look of Imac and it must be able to run windows. If I got an Imac I would love the processor(kidding), the only thing I'm seeing...is that in the first year I was writing software for xt and they were classic macs in class. Now at the university I don't see them back. You find them as garbage.

ed, you translate his messages so well... please interpret what he said!

and did I clarify to you what I was talking about? sorry but when i type quick, i tend to forget what I was talking about and end a post without explaning myself fully...

so herve, the university got new macs?? Did they get rid of the old ones to buy new updated machines? if so, are they running osx?
that $799 model is going to be pretty good with some added ram which is dirt cheap these days. It will feel like driving a porsche after using that performa of yours!!
you'll be like me, not really able to run with the big boys, but not stuck on the porch either!!

(american saying - if you can't run with the big dogs, you might as well stay on the porch:D )

and remember there is 'virtual pc' which allows macs to use windows programs. the admiral uses it. you should ask him more about it.

yes blingbling, i got the idea i think. to sum your reply up, you were like most pc people who don't realize that the most essential pro software is often found on both platforms, you were the one who made your choice by not realizing the full potential of the mac. you did a quick check and wrote macs off as being behind at the time. in the process you got screwed.
I also assume you mean that mac versions of programs are easier to use than windows versions. can you give any other examples of how they are "better"?

wait... WOAH!

I totally realized the full potential of the mac 100% but wasn't aware of Final Cut Pro at the time. I had never heard of it and while going through the Apple site, never noticed the Final Cut Pro page or advertisement. My fault for not looking close enough. I never wrote macs off as being behind or anything, I've been wanting a Mac for over 7 years since I saw one on display but because I never had a job to provide money to buy one, my dad always just bought a PC since he's always used them and knew alot about them. Yes I fully admit I got screwed and I regret my decision now. Yes I undenyably believe that Mac programs are easier to use.

now, can you tell me what this person does with their computer so I can give better reasons why macs are better than PC's...

well aside from school, i know he likes to do some programming - all platforms i think. he's fairly artistic but i'm not sure if he uses it much for that. he writes (and records?) music but again i'm not clear on if he uses a computer in that. I know he builds web sites, some as school projects. again i think more specifics of what kinds of programs he and family use is something i need to find out. i should talk to him again by monday i hope.

sorry also blingbling, i guess part of what i inferred in summary is that you felt mac was behind in software because you only checked apple's site for software ( and not very thoroughly?). there are plenty of other resources for mac stuff besides there but many people (like yourself?) wouldn't put in the effort to find them for a variety of different reasons. so you didn't realize the reality matched the potential. is this more an accurate picture?

btw, i'm hoping my friend will be reading this thread sometime soon so he can print parts of it and show or tell his dad and we can see how we did. and bling bling i'm hoping you can get a new mac and give the hell, i mean dell, to your sisters!!!:)

This is a dad we need to convince, right...tell him you can have many different Solitaire-games on the Mac...works for my dad...switching to OS X, his first question(and I'm not kidding) was "Where do I go for solitaire?"

lol

such a great point!!! it was the second question my girlfriend asked when she got her new imac600 this summer. i completely forgot! (her first question was "where is the internet?" - by which she meant the browser and mail!!) of course my selling point to her when she bought was that it is the only brand i can fix:D

i just hope his dad doesn't use aol. trying to convince him of anything rational would probably be impossible!!!!!!!:eek:

Macworld is 4 very soon. I'm working now 2 get the keynote when IT comes life. Before I had 2 go working and go 2 the university.

My main reason for getting a Mac (especially a new one) is that they just look so beautiful. I recently had an iMac blueberry as my main computer. Everyone was amazed at it. Then, I just bought a Power Mac G4 with a 15" LCD Appel display. This thing is unbelievable (even the speakers are gorgeous)! Now everyone who comes into my house stares at the monitor for like 10 minutes. Even my brother-in-law, who is a heavy PC user, loves it. He always comes over and uses the computer (he even asked me how much it was, as if he was interested in buying it!). That's my reason they're so great. If you were to buy a PC, they're just pieces of beige junk sitting on your desk. With a new Mac, you don't have to hide the computer in a side room in your house. You can put it out in the open for everyone to see. I love the way Apple designs.

Attachments

• g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
the mac is like a religion (a pc users quote) we all help each other, the forums are great (do i get money for saying that?:D ) and cos there's only a limited number of mac models tech support (in the unlikely event something goes wrong) is easier. and why would you want to line bill's pockets even more?

My apologies to Hervé. I had not read any of his earlier posts and it did sound like Mac bashing.

As far as the DSL hookup, I initially had a DSL modem. That worked perfectly. I replaced that with a router/switch combo which is just a dream to work with.

I have a mixed network, and under OSX I have had absolutely no problems with mac to PC file transfers. The only thing that would make me happier is if Maya and the other PC based apps I use make the big move to MacOSX. Maya 3.5 for OSX is currently not quite where v.4 for PC is.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
you'll be like me, not really able to run with the big boys, but not stuck on the porch either!!

i hear that ... my B&W sure isn't a screamer anymore, especially with the PCI graphics ... but it does everything I'll need it to do for a LOOOONG time. I've stuck in a full gig of RAM for under $250, just bought an 80 GB HD for about $150 ... all I'm waiting for is for the cost of dual-G4 upgrades to go down. I'm not TOO terribly concerned about a new graphics card until the Radeon comes down in price either, as I am not really into gaming or 3D work, mainly 2D graphic design for print and web.

But the new iMacs will still be a LOT faster than this tower, with faster motherboards, more efficient processors, faster RAM, better video, etc. The new iMacs are a REAL BARGAIN at $799. And I have WAAAAAY more than that to pay off on this thing, believe me ;)

Back