WANTED: Suggestions for Firewire HD

shatfield1529

s|hatfield not shat|field
I guess this isn't a typical want ad...

I'm looking for a external Firewire HD holding at least 50GB, which is relatively inexpensive and somewhat reliable.

I was wondering which brand would be recommended by people who have had experience with external drives. Which brand gives the least amount of trouble? Which brand is the most cost-effective?

Thanks for your help, in advance.

:D

go to firewiredirect.com... they have great prices and nice looking cases using fast bridges.

In my experience, stay away from Que drives as their support when they go bad is horrible (two have gone bad on me in the last 30 days). EZQuest ranks up there with the best. Bottom line, call the company first and see which one has real live customer service agents.

I think you should use an IBM drive, I use them religiously. Now I'll bet you're saying to yourself, "What's he talking about, IBM dosen't make any external Firewire drives!" But lo! I've purchased an IBM 75gb drive, 7200rpm internal IDE hard drive and used an ADS 1394 drive kit to adapt it to Firewire. These things are great, and I plan to use a second one when I get an HP DVD+RW drive. They hold any size drive and even 2.5" drives with an inexpensive adapter. The front bezel has a handy activity LED and there's a cooling fan built in the back. It also has two Firewire ports on the back, so you can daisy chain as many of these things as you'd like.

Good times,
Nosh

PowerBook G4/800

PS: Plenty more companies make these "1394 Drive Kits" And "USB 2.0 Drive Kits", ADS just happened to be the one I use :)

Back