Warning Will Robinson: lost file report

from MacIntouch:

A MacInTouch reader reports finding and confirming a file-destroying bug in Mac OS X:

"I just discovered a nasty bug in 10.1.3 that has been reproduced by Apple. Unfortunately I lost data in discovering it so I would like to publicize it so others do not.
Ê I'll illustrate the problem. Say you want to move two files (File1.psd and File2.psd) to another drive (local or remote); call it Drive2. File1.psd is 100MB and File2.psd is 20MB. Drive2 has 50MB free. You select the two files and drag them to Drive2 with the command key down (to move the files instead of copying them). As it should, the Finder will produce an error saying File1.psd will not fit. Passing "Continue" will then result in an error stating that File2.psd will not fit. This is incorrect. No harm done so far. Passing "Continue" again will cause the Finder to start copying File1.psd to Drive2. When Drive2 fills, the Finder will report an error that there is no more room. Pressing "Continue" will stop the copying process but the originals have now been deleted. All that is left is a file fragment with part of File1.psd on Drive2.
Ê An Apple support technician repeated this on his machine.
Ê Unfortunately, Apple was able to provide no support for recovering the files. You would think they would at least offer a rebate on my next purchase for tracking this down and the time it will take to recover the lost data."

I've duplicated this as well on three different machines and 5 different makes of drives with various connections. I feel bad for the guy but hope he isn't holding his breath for the "rebate.";)

Back