Watching movies on other computers

Racquelle

Registered
I just got a Macbook Pro, and mostly it is working great. There is one problem though: I have a lot of movies etc. on my desktop that I would like to be able to watch using my new macbook. However, if I try to do this using QuickTime it will work fine for some time but then I always get a message saying that QuickTime has unexpectedly quit. I have also tried using VLC to do this, but the playback is not very smooth, and jumps around too much to make it worth watching anything.
Does anyone know of a solution? Another media player or something else I can do to make viewing media over my network run more smoothly?

Hi Racquelle, I just wondered whether you had Flip4Mac or Perian installed? They are extremely useful to have.

I'm surprised VLC gets the stutters as it's fairly robust when it comes to playing movie files .... what is the file extension of the movies you want to watch?

I don't have either of those installed, but I will check them out, thanks. The extension is almost always .avi.

Can be either really. A lot are XviDs. If I copy them over to my mac I have no problems with watching them (maybe the odd QuickTime crash, definitely no problems with VLC). It is only over the network that I seem to have these issues.

I understood from your original post that you had trouble viewing movies that are on your Desktop ... do you say that the real problem lies with watching a move over a Network? Is it a Mac-Mac or Mac-PC network or other? Wired or Wireless?

Last edited:
Don't know too much about it as it was pretty easy to set up. My desktop is running Mepis linux with smb4k. I just had to tell it to share the /home directory and I could immediately see it when I opened up finder on my Macbook.

I think the jittery playback on your MB might be determined by the speed of your connection. Hopefully someone else here has more info on this.

Back