watching video = 100% CPU

jamike

Registered
Whenever I play a video integrated in a website (e.g. youtube), the CPU goes to 100%, temperature rises to 70-75 C' and the fan runs at around 6,000 rpm. Once the video ends, the computer (macbook) goes back to normal (60 C', 2000 rpm). Sometimes I notice the same behavior with flash animations, most often ads.

Is this normal or should I worry about it?

Thank you!

Well, video takes a lot more process then most things. Whether that is normal or not depends on what kind of computer/notebook you have. Also, what kind of file are you playing? for example: AVI, MPG, MP4....

most of the times it's an integrated youtube video into a website. and I have a white macbook, 1.83 mhz, 1.25GB ram.

The MacBook shouldn't scoff that much at a youtube video or flash animation. When watching a YouTube video, my 1.83GHz MacBook uses about 40% CPU at 35 degrees celsius.

By the way, why is your normal temperature 140 degrees fahrenheit?

hmm, are you sure 35 is your CPU temperature? from what I remember, most people posted their normal idle temperature at 60-64 degrees C. ever since I use a fan utility, I keep it at 56-58. but 35? that seems to be way too low...

any ideas what I could do to stop the temperature from jumping to 75 when viewing a youtube video?

Don't be alarmed. Unfortunately the extra processor usage you are noticing is due to the Mac version of the Adobe Flash web plug-in being very CPU hungry. I can only assume it has not been thoroughly optimized. Every Mac I have ever used has experienced this when viewing YouTube vids, and in some cases, poorly written web-beased flash games.

Back