Water in iPod

Whoa, buddy, can't say I've gotten water in MY iPod. How's yours surviving? What happened to the poor thing?

Erhm... What's the subject of this discussion? I dunno whether to move the thread in 'hardware' or 'the café'. ;-)

I would be VERY quick to get it to an Apple service guy, or if you're competent enough, open it up and clean it with electrical contact cleaner for the circuitboards and water dispersant for everything else. Even if it did survive its little sub-aquatic sojourn, you'll still need to clean it out to avoid long-term or slow-acting damage from rust and so on.

Oh, and do tell: How exactly did you get water in your iPod?
a) Singing in the shower.
b) Singing "Splish-Splash" in the bath
c) Water-skiing
d) At a pool-party
e) Having a drink thrown in your face by a girl as you inadvertantly sang romantic lyrics at her.

i heard a horror story of someone forgetting his ipod in his pocket. he washed his trousers in the washing machine... the ipod survived. it appeared dead for a day or so, then it just started working again. it was a 3rd gen ipod. aw.. don't try that home. or anywhere. ... maybe, if it was just water (no sugar, salt etc) let it dry (not in too hot) and see if it works. pray.

iPod seems to be working fine. Used blowdryer, shook it very hard, and waited for a long time. Seems okay. I 'm stil freaked out about it though.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but it's worked on other electronics.

The drier...good old fashioned clothes drier. One of our members at the fire department I used to work for inadvertly submerged a 1500$ Motorola 2way radio. Brand new one at that, he only had it 2 weeks. He shook it out, bundled it up, and put it in the drier. It worked...much to the dismay of our 'radio guy'.

Water -- by itself -- does not damage electronics. I have read cases where trying to use the electronics while still wet has cause some short circuitry, but that is rare.

Blow drying a drenched computer keyboard or iPod, in this case, should fix the problem most of the time. I don't suggest drenching your favorite electronic device to prove me wrong... but I've been saved a few times by the blow dryer.

When the water is mixed with sugar or soap, etc. then things change. The residue from the sugar and or soap stays even after the device has been dried.

I once dumped an entire can of coke in my keyboard. I was pretty upset. I tried to let it dry and use it, but it didn't work. A friend suggested that I drench it in water to wash out the sugar. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I did it. To my surprise it worked. The water completely removed the sugar and after the device was dried everything returned to normal.

Yeah, well pure (deionized) water doesn't conduct electricity. Tap water and other liquids tend to have salt and other electrolytes which DO conduct electricity and will short-circuit your iPod. If you do spill coke or something on a piece of equipment you can try and wash it out with some pure water and hopefully there won't be much residue left over.

You could have taken a photo and send to that "iPod around the world" page, with the title "My iPod swimming a little".
Hey, nice to have it working fine.

Back