iMac upgrade is poor
- only +100MH
- the same slow-for-game Ati card
- no combo drive

iBook
- no upgrade or price reduction
...but ok this is still a new product and we can wait for a while

New G4 Tower
- Big upgrade, but still to costly as a consumer product.

MAC OS X 10.1
- Will be released in september!

The new G4 is not a consumer machine, it never was, it has been positioned against the top end dells, compaq's etc since it the G4 range came into being. When compared to those machines, it is incredably reasonable, in fact cheap.

No X 1 was a dissappointment, but I have been thinking about the new iMac, and although I am not happy it isn't here yet, a new iMac would have overshadowed the new G4, which would be pretty unfair on a product line that has now relevant "skin" upgrade for a good while.

Expect to see the new iMac very soon...

You are on right, a new iMac would steal the attention from new G4 towers.

This iMac upgrade, not a radical change, may suppose that Apple has other in mind for his consumer line...
At the moment there is no reason to change my iMac 400 DV with one of this new iMac.
Also I'm waiting the next iBook update, iBook can be the final solution for my needs!

And yes, I now that G4 is not a consumer product, but I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!, but sig, it's too costly for me :(

I'm not sure, 'cause i don't remember previous iMac prices, but seems that iMac has not been update, simply Apple has added a new top configuration with more HD e speed processor, leaving unchanged the prices of the previous configurations. I'm in wrong? The only difference about the old configs is the "ufficialization" of the free added ram.

yes, they are the same as they have been for a while, but, on the upside, it is all the more reason to think that a new update is due soon too...

If they changed the Bus speeds increased the backside cache, and built new configurations, I would say that this shape is due to stay a while, but they haven't, so I think that a new shape is due very soon.

All things point to the release of new shape...so if you hold on a bit a longer, 133 buspeeds and AGP 4x - will go a long whay to making the new imac better.

I am sure Steve would have loved to walk out there yesterday and introduce new upgrades and form-factors in every product he could.

What you've got to remember is that he is bound by how fast Apple's engineers can work. Jobs was probably just as disappointed as we were that the new stuff wasn't ready. It's nice to think that he didn't want new iMacs to overshadow the G4, but most likely, he was hounding the engineers for the last few weeks to hurry up so that he would have a big show to put on.

I am 99.999999979999994396532784% sure Apple will release a new iMac design before the end of 2002. There is no way they can keep thi iMac he way it is.

End of 2002? I'd wager end of 2001.. Isn't Seybold in August? Although Apple might not want to introduce a new consumer machine at a professional publishing conference. They could always just hold an Apple Event too - they haven't done one of those in awhile.

Originally posted by endian
End of 2002? I'd wager end of 2001.. Isn't Seybold in August? Although Apple might not want to introduce a new consumer machine at a professional publishing conference. They could always just hold an Apple Event too - they haven't done one of those in awhile.
When I said 2002, I meant that as the absolute latest. But yeah I predict it happening very soon as well.:D

Back