we can breath easier about intel macs

i saw that they had a new logo when the centrino duo's were announced, i think it's a positive step, and a tasteful logo, a lot more modern and a lot less tacky. keep the branding, change the image. Very good.

coreduofp.jpg

I do like the new logo better than the old one, although I didn't have any gripes over the old Intel logo with the dropped "e", only the logo that said "intel inside." That was so late 80s, early 90s. This new logo is a fresh look, and personally I think that it does have something to do with their new client. ;)

I think that the new intel logo looks fantasic! Serious I've been reading articles on this for awhile. It actually has a interesting story behind it. This article from Businessweek shows that it's because of Paul Otellni, the new CEO of intel who we all maybe saw in the june 2006 keynote had a HUGE role in getting Jobs to also come over to the intel side too. But I wonder if apple will put the logo on any of it's macs? I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. But then again it is nice having my powerbook not have a powerpc sticker on the outside. One reason for sticker is that it would only destory the Coolness of desgin but i've seen my friends laptops where having a sticker on the outside it gets worn out and grimy too. Which therefore makes the laptop look old and "uncool". But overall the new desgin looks sweet.

HateEternal said:
It does look better, I still hope they don't put a sticker on the new Macs though.

nope, from what i heard the "branding" is being removed...i heard rumors of it right after Apple announced that there would be no Intel stickers on the mac

nixgeek said:
I do like the new logo better than the old one, although I didn't have any gripes over the old Intel logo with the dropped "e", only the logo that said "intel inside." That was so late 80s, early 90s. This new logo is a fresh look, and personally I think that it does have something to do with their new client. ;)
Speaking of dropped e's, the word "breath" in this thread's title should have an "e" at the end ;)

I've never seen a sticker on a Mac. No Bluetooth logo, no USB2, so there will be no Intel inside logo, or maybe below the case ?

I was about to berate you idiots and give you a lesson in marketing/advertising/branding 101 until I realized I was reading the link's forums and not macosx.com. It sounds like you guys get it. There is no longer a reason to say "inside". "Intel" alone has successful brand recognition. "Leap ahead" is an opportunity to present Intel's new position. Totally logical.

I've changed the link to not go to the forum but the article instead. Please do link to articles, not forum threads about articles...

The "e" is still there. The logo itself is a lowercase E, with the word "intel" as the horizontal line.

senne said:
The "e" is still there. The logo itself is a lowercase E, with the word "intel" as the horizontal line.

Yes the "e" is still there but it's not dropped like the original. See below

Original Logo

original.jpg

New Logo
intel-logo.jpg

the more i look at it, the more i love the typography of the new one. each letter has been designed very competently. i love the gap joining the 'l' with the start of the loop...

Let me be the first to say I don't think the logo change was warranted (from a designer's point of view). Though the new logo is aesthetically nice, it doesn't do anything but add the aspirational swooshes that are flooding the industry these past five years.

I think the fact that the logo (slightly) is in the shape of an 'e', Intel has lost the most recognisable part of its brand. The dropped 'e' should have remained, even if they insisted on swooshing it all up and changing the typeface.

At least FutureBrand wasn't called in; there'd be gradients all over the place.

i linked the other forum, because at the time, the link to the article didn't work, server kept timing out, so i linked the forum only because he had quoted the whole article. i'm merely trying to let you all in one the good news. :D
also, i failed spelling in 2nd grade, which gives me lience to misspell for the rest of my life. :rolleyes:

Irrespective of the logo, I still think that the switch to Intel is a bad idea, and I think that IBM will eventually get its act together and produce high-end PowerPC G5 chips worthy of laptop functionality. I have a 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium based IBM PC (REAL IBM!) at work and it is a real dawg compared to my Dual 2.7 GHz G5. But before anyone says "there's no comparison", even my Blue and White G3 with a 500 MHz G3 processor is faster at some tasks than the 3.2 GHz Intel-based IBM PC. Hard drive performance is really, I mean, really bad on the PC. Startup on the PC takes signficantly longer, and you can forget multi-tasking - you can load only one program at a time on a Windows PC, something I'm not accustomed to living in the Macintosh world. The Power PC architecture is much more modern than the aging Intel architecture. No matter what spin the new Mac takes, it 'will be' a pretty-looking PC. I just read on a rummor site that Apple may have handed-over development of the Power Mac to Intel - design of the mother board and chipset (which is supposed to be different from PCs). Apple will retain the right to develop the exterior design. If this is true, then this is really bad. How bad can this really get?

Back