We need simple things !!!

xJ3D

Registered
What's funny to me, having been a long time Wintel user until last year... Is the lack of some of the simple things... My main grip at the moment being plain John-Doe code/html editors with the most complexity being syntax color coding, nothing more.....

I used HomeSite in Windows for years, but on the Mac OS only found BBEdit that comes close/ perhaps matches what I was use too.... Take a look, I'm not talking about Adobe Go-live, or any other WYSIWYG development suite... I'm talking about a simple text editor with syntax coloring and to be advanced has a help system with HTML tag refference and what not...
It's not much to ask for...... something like BBEdit lite with syntax coloring added in ... that's the type of thing I am talking about here...

So if any of you reading this know what your doing in CodeWarrior... Think about compiling something that is like BBEdit "Lite" with syntax color coding ;) You will be worshiped by me and I'm sure by a ton of other folks out there... At least until BBEdit decides to jump in on the X band-wagon !

I'm tring to learn CodeWarrior, but I'm a BASIC guy.. and this C++ thing only gets me frustrated, and REALBasic (Carbon) currently has neither via plug-in or native editfields what have multiline with-out word-wrap and horizontal scroll bar properties ... something I've been scratching my head about having been using VB for so long and those properties being something pretty much needed very badly I think ;)

Well, basicly, aside from the above, OS X will be very much helped, if the little simple things would come about not just the big packages...

My Monday Rant......

Bare Bones, the makers of BBEdit, says that a carbonized version of BBEdit will be available when OS X 1.0 ships. That probably means that a carbonized BBEdit Lite will be around about then too. It's a shame they don't release earlier, the app is probably already finished but they want to wait for the sharp OS. It seems to be the same with SoundJam...

Theo

I think we differ in our opinions on the issue of syntax coloring. Syntax coloring is not a "simple" feature and when I think of a text editor I don't want this sort of "feature" in my way. Syntax coloring requires that your text editor know what language you are writing AND that the language is conducive to being inteligently colored.

The "document description" languages like HTML, XML, and WordStar (from the ancient days of DOS) are the sorts of languages that are the most conducive to document coloring, but once you get to C and Java these coloration tricks get me as furious as MS Word scribbling underlines on words it thinks are misspelled (but are simply tech-centric words that it doesn't know).

One other point of clarification, it sounds like the original poster is a Visual Basic guy rather than a Basic guy. That's not a bad thing, but you probably don't want to start programming with Carbon and C++ if you like the robust interface tools and API's exposed in Visual Basic. Definitely look into Cocoa. If you have messed with the bowels of MFC and DCOM on Windows, you'll find Carbon's event model to be very welcome, but that's not a learning curve that I wanted to tackle and it doesn't sound like its one that you want to go after either.

Good luck though. Programming is a particularly fussy subject for the illogical human race to conquer. And everyone needs all the help we can get (be it syntax coloring or not depending on our preferences :)

Is there a way to get "Project Builder" with out becoming a member of the ADC?

Your right.. I'm very Visual Basic ;)

Originally posted by xJ3D
Is there a way to get "Project Builder" with out becoming a member of the ADC?

Your right.. I'm very Visual Basic ;)

Online-only membership is completely free and you'll find a huge and growing libary of materials available to you (Project Builder and other tools included).

I'm grabing 69.8 megs of it as I type here.... he he...

I never noticed the online membership was free before, that should tell you how well I read 11 point print !

well shoot... I downloaded the whole 69 meg OS X development tar file... but when I run via the CLI ...

tar -xf 11.7.19.DownloadSoftware.1.1

I get Cpio file name lenght "NUM" is out of range
error on every file ??

I'll re-dl I guess...

Ikes.. never mind.... they did it to me again... a tar with-in a sit file... this time they didn't name the file with a .sit on the end .. I was trying to tar a sit file ....

Back