We will dedicate bandwidth for 10.1!

I guess in theory... that even if the upgrade wont run w/o 10.0 being installed... the copy of 10.0 that you have may not be a "legit" version... and thus... us providing 10.1 to you via FTP would not be a good thing.

Folks, I think we are going to have to back down on providing 10.1... and you will have to relay on the darkside to get your copy, unless you pay the $20, stop by a dealer on Saturday, or just outright purchase 10.1.

If we get word from Apple that it's okay... we will do it. Otherwise.... we will choose not to do it.

Thanks,

Admin

Originally posted by sfish
I know $20 is quite a bit for shipping and handling, but I wonder how much of that really goes into Apple's pocket. Anyone have an idea?

If you calculate from a purely business perspective what handling means when you have many many orders to process, count, fulfill and then pay for....
and temporarily house...
not a for profit operation= 0

and naturally, you want some good looking babes to be doing the work, too.
<blockquote>
Next month in <b>"MacTech"</b> there will be a 10 page pictorial entitled <b>Special handling girls from apple really deliver</b>
</blockquote>

Well, for all the people complaining about piracy these past few months, few of them seems to have gone out and bought the damn thing, otherwise we'd know that 5G64 is the golden master, and any differences between the beta and final. also, they could have volunteered to put the update up for FTP, but again, few did.
i have the beta, and yes its a pirate, but i bought 10 and will buy 10.1 when i have the time and know its is the local UK store.

I guess in theory... that even if the upgrade wont run w/o 10.0 being installed... the copy of 10.0 that you have may not be a "legit" version... and thus... us providing 10.1 to you via FTP would not be a good thing.

well yes, in theory, but surely if you bootlegged the 10 version you can bootleg the 10.1?
i think if Apple say its OK then do it, a lot of people want it soon and for some reason or another can't get to it. those who bootlegged the first will just bootleg the second, and most are probably doing it now, so they wont throttle your bandwidth too much, their all on Hotline or Carracho.:p

Originally posted by brodie
those who bootlegged the first will just bootleg the second, and most are probably doing it now, so they wont throttle your bandwidth too much, their all on Hotline or Carracho.:p

<b>I think this is the main point....</b>
Provide a legitimate and authorized way to download it and show apple how many people are willing to do that.

In the future Apple will think over their current policies and offer the updates for download immediately. [They are on the akamai.net]

Again, it seems important that the real community not just the opportunistic people on hotline show to apple that we are already thinking different and they don't have to put out a CD and beef up their staff every time.

I can't recommend to anyone with less than 128K at their disposal to download 600 Mb, and those without CDR are SOL. but getting things out even to regional distribution points over the net could be considered a reality at this point. and even more so in the future.

Probably the next big release will be a purchasable item so we won't have a point to make.

<blockquote>
Otherwise, why do we even post to these groups? You guys should all be clicking my banners and sending me $ by paypal just 'cause I took out the time to let you know my feelings. --that's the way it should be????

</blockquote>

I agree. I bought 10 (albeit at student discount) and was simply too impatient so I downloaded the 10.1 update (and I never got anything before 5G64). No big deal in my book. Apple at one point was the leader of the pack in saying that the internet changes everything about computers and networking (wasn't that a main reason for ditching the floppy?) but they insist on a physical medium for this update. I know that 600+ MB may be too much for the casual user, so of course the CD is necessary.

But I think they should encourage spread of the update (now that it's out I mean, I'm not advocating piracy at all) by a network of individuals. It seems a bit like open sourcing, but with distribution instead of intellect. Get a ton of people to help you and you end up with better distribution at a lower cost to yourself. Seems simple to me.

-Rob

Posted on the carbon-dev list:

Subject: Build 5G64 is Mac OS X 10.1 GM release
To: Carbon Development <carbon-development@lists.apple.com>
Sender: carbon-development-admin@lists.apple.com
X-BeenThere: carbon-development@lists.apple.com
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0.5
List-Help: <mailto:carbon-development-request@lists.apple.com?subject=help>
List-Post: <mailto:carbon-development@lists.apple.com>
List-Subscribe: <http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/carbon-development>,
<mailto:carbon-development-request@lists.apple.com?subject=subscribe>
List-Id: Developer discussion of programming with Carbon <carbon-development.lists.apple.com>
List-Unsubscribe: <http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/carbon-development>,
<mailto:carbon-development-request@lists.apple.com?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-development/>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:43:30 -0700

All,

The build currently seeded on the ADC website, 5G64, is the GM release that
was announced today at Seybold. This build can be downloaded by ADC seed
key holders.

-M

Mark Turner ---------------------------------------------------------------
Mac OS Technology Manager 408.974.3001
Apple Worldwide Developer Relations mark@apple.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come Saturday, if I can walk in the store and pick up the update w/o proving I own 10.0 (which I do, and the Beta too) - we will put 10.1 upgrade online at the ftp server. We will also look for sites to mirror this as well.

Should I walk in and have to prove that I own OS X 10.0, then we will not make it available.

Overall, we want to support Apple... and not find ourself in a legal web over distribution of 10.1 upgrade.

If indeed the update has you insert your 10.0 cd for verification, then awesome, we will put it online.

Admin

As i paid for X and have my order in for v10.1 (thanks cool chick at 800-MY-APPLE!), I see it as "Fair Use" - any questions on "Fair Use" check westlaw or post here...I'll try to answer and if I don't someone will.

I'm just too impatient to wait for the update to come in the mail (I want the CDs and Docs from Apple) or even until Saturday when I can run to the Peabody store for the free update!

(did I read correctly that the update from the Apple Store online - the $19.95 version - is slightly different than the free update that will be available Saturday at the physical stores? I thought it said somewhere that the $19.95 version includes X, 9.2, dev tools updated and a manual whereas the free updates at the stores will only be X and 9.2...)

Admin - can't say for sure if the update will make you insert the X CD. It would be a good idea, though... As far as proving you own X, From what I've heard (an apple store employee) and from my experience with ordering the update from Apple, they did not / will not make a point of verification of ownership. If you don't have X installed it won't work anyway. If one has a pirated version of X... well, they had a pirated copy of X anyway, right?

I couldn't believe what I was hearing on the boards, so I used my newly acquired dialpad free-be e account to make a call to the Apple store in Columbus (on my macintosh over the internet... cool..)

Its true, they will be handing out cd's of 10.1 for free. The installer has some way of verifying if you ever owned 10.0 or something. Its sweet. And the chick on the phone sounded nice, too ;-)

Screw this $20 business!!!! Me and a friend are making the drive on Saturday. He doesn't have a mac (yet) so I'll get him to grab the cd anyway, and we'll see how much it costs to ship to someone ;-)

Dude!!!! Free 10.1...... I'm obviously *very* happy! I think I'll clean my room, write some papers, read a few books, clean out my downloads folder, call those people, pay my bills.....

(And I don't even drink coffee...)

10.1 for free!!!! Man! I feel like that guy on the ?IBM? commercial where he runs around with the "runwayshoes.com" poster in the base ball field!

Back