web cam

poetguy

Registered
My wife and I have a mixed marriage. She uses a pc and I use a Mac (OSX 10.4.11). We have made peace with this difference, but we are now faced with a new challenge: With our daughter just off to college, which web cam can we Sklype and Ichat with that is compatible with both machines? Although a friend has told me it doesn't matter which cam we use because they are USB2, so compatibility is not an issue. Yet, when I did online research looking at one highly regarded Logitech camera, the review said that it is not optimized for the Mac, giving substandard performance. So, I would love to hear from a web cam savant who can handle this issue of web cam compatibility and perhaps offer a suggestion or two about particular cams to explore. Thank you.

i use a cheap logitech webcam, as my isight crapped out along time ago and can't buy another one anymore. to use the logitech i downloaded macam application that works real well on skype. you can do a search for macam on here or on the web. good luck...

Go to sourceforge to see what cameras are cross-compatible. Those more knowledgeable than I can tell you about the camera technology format, but it's way over my head. I too use a cheap Logitech Quickcam Go, and it works 'okay', nothing stronger than that, with my contacts, both Mac and Win.

Oh yes, if you do download a macam driver for the model of camera you buy, be sure to read the instructions, especially the bit about using only ONE application with your camera at a time, ie. EITHER Skype OR iChat OR xyz.

Back