web colors...

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
HELP ME.

I export an image(lets say a gif) in Photoshop or image ready. and the main color in it is "#98C5DF".
I set the bgcolor of the HTML file to "#98C5DF".

When I view the page on a different computer... the gif color and the BG color are slightly different. It's like imageready is adding a color profile to the gif or something. How can I fix this?

I've noticed this happening on my websites often too, I have yet to find out why it does this, or a really nice way to fix it. :(

I just checked out the site on a cube w/ a LCD display, a G4 with a similar monitor to mine, and you cannot see the problem. When I get home tonight,I will take a screenshot of the site from my 7500.

I've noticed this too.

I think it has something to do with the way the browser is rendering images as opposed to rendering flat HTML marked up colours.

One simple solution is to use a very small image (even a 1x1 pic with the relevant colur in it) as a background rather than a marked up colour via HTML/CSS. The browser is sure to display both parts the same. Not very elegant - but it does work if you are stuck!

make a gif of 1x1 pixel and give it that same color. Then put the gif as your background picture. That will solve your problem, most probably.

Thanks guys... that was my backup plan if I could not solve the problem. I changed the Color Settings in Photoshop to Generic RGB. that helped a little, but the problem is still there, so I will be using the GIF as a BG image...

Originally posted by MacLuv
1.)Also, make sure the ColorSync profiles match.

2.)When saving for the web, use ImageReady (or Fireworks) and LOCK the sample of the color that you want, so that when you reduce colors for compression it won't dissapear.

3.) Why don't you past a picture of your GIF onto your background and post it here so we can see what's happening?

1.) I did that. I changed both of my monitors to generic RGB, and set the "color settings in Pshop to generic RGB. then I assigned a generic RGB profile to the image.

2.) that must be it. when I get home from school, I will try that.

3.) ooooops, I forgot to upload the image last night. I took a screenshot of what was going on.

create the gif, then view it in a web browser. use OS X's DigitalColor Meter to find the hex value as seen in a web browser, then use that hex value for the bgcolor.
also, display properties (thousands of colors vs. millions of colors) causes this offset.

Back