Web Dev Software for Mac ??

boson

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good web (html, asp, jscipt...) editor for mac? I have been using Dreamweaver ($$!) but have been looking for freeware with a graphic interface. Anyone run across one?

thanks
mark

The freeware versions I am aware of are text based, which most programmers consider more real than a graphic-based interface program such as Dreamweaver.

If you're looking for one which allows you to graphically generate pages, then you'll have to pay. However, applications such as BBEdit (not Lite version), allow you to have a live preview of the code you are developing.

Xcode is pretty good, if a little quirky at times [tab indentation! Don't get me going...].

It's actually better than Adobe Golive for project management.

Plus you can set up CVS and other funky stuff...

SubEthaEdit is about the best you're going to do. It has a live Safari preview and is freeware, but you need to code it yourself.

Gutted, I'm in the same boat, I'm broke at the moment and wanted to do some web design but with some free software :(

As I always say, you can get 30-day free trials on DWMX 2004 and GoLive from their respective sites.

Speaking of xCode... anyone use it regularly for HTML (web-based) coding? (octane?)

If so, does it have anything over BBEdit in features/use?

Aye, mi ol' muka!

I use it quite a lot for php, html 'n' stuff.

I swap between BBEdit Lite for fast & furious stuff like search & replace, Adobe Golive for composing the actual page and Xcode for editing and managing a project...

I can see the Project Management being useful (find BBEdit's to be feeble). The text colouring isn't as great as BBEdit's plus it doesn't particularly regard HTML as something to develop with. Would be nice if Apple used this as an opportunity.

Code-folding. This is what I want in my coding-app!! (Checkout gphpedit on Linux).

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check out everyone's suggestions. I think eventually I'll break down and get DWMX04 for the asp dev wizards. In the mean while I'll give these a go.

Thanks again!
Mark
ekerwin.com

I tried everything you listed awhile back. Trust me, skEdit (www.skti.org) beats the **** out of ANYTHING else on the Mac, and probably the PC too. It rocks. :)

Think they lost their domain...or changed their business direction.

After the switch to Panther, I dumped Studio MX after Dreamweaver was unable to work (FTP) properly. MX2004 seemed too slow, so I went back to trusty BBEdit and Transmit...like it and hate it. Miss some of Dreamweaver's features, like some of what BBEdit allows. Might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to MX2004...haven't really decided yet.

Wow... thanks for the reminder mdnky! I tried skedit about a year ago, it was okay. But now, what you get strips the competition... I purchased BBEdit before Xmas, wish I'd checked skedit out again first. All that for $20!

Having no luck finding the SKedit thing.

I've been all over the web site and all I find is mobile phones...

Ish, yeah. I'm a beta tester, and I still always get the address wrong (.org, not .com) :(

Back