Web/Mail/IMAP/POP/NetINFO...........

luisraul

Registered
config:
DSL at home running Mac OS X.1 on 300mhz b/w with 384Mb.
Have domain name registered ==> mydomain.net
At this point it points to my IP assigned to my mac.

Okay I have been rreading up for some time on different configs for setting up hostnames, setting up sendmail, and all sorts of uses of Netinfo....
Basically everywhere I went I found different methods and suggestions and everything was seperated to some extent.

When I got X.1 I started tinkering with all sorts of setups until finally I just got frustrated and nothing worked, my hostname showed in some files while not in others, my web site was never up because the domain name would not resolve, and sendmail; forghetahboutit....

If anyone has tips on setting up everything on one shot if possible please give a hand.... I don't mind long posts as long as they actually work at the end.

Basically I would like to configure my mac with my domain name so that I can let my registrar know my correct mx records and such. Like I said I have tinkered with Netinfo/hostconfigs and the such.

Hopefully this thread could help others for a onestop source of setting up the mac as the server it could be.....

thanks

I see where you are getting at.

During your registration with domain.net, what name servers did you put down? Unless you are registered with your isp, you cannot put the name servers in your mydomain.net config to it. Your isp name servers do not know that domain.net is registered to one of their local ip addresses.

My suggestion go to mydomain.com, and sign up for your domain (its a free web based domain configuration tool). Set up your cnames, mx relay & domain hostnames. And in your domain.net config, you will have to set the name servers to be the ones found in mydomain.com help area (not sure exactly where). Once this is done then you can configure your email/web/ftp services to run on your mac (provided you set up the hostnames to point to your ip, e.g ftp.domain.net, pop3.domain.net). try not to set up sendmail, try using something like qpopper and qmail.

This is a solution provided you do not want to run a dns server elsewhere. If you want to run a dns server right on the mac. try and compile BIND on OS X. I'm sure there are a lot of threads concerning this.

Netinfo itself is a LDAP directory service. Its not all that well rounded but its the start for managing a domain of Mac OS X computers. Similar to NT domain.

hmmmm,
thanx 4 the reply. But basically if my ISP supports it, they should be able to input my domain in their DNS servers??? Of course they probably do not....

In which case I would be able to run my own DNS server [install and run BIND]. One question I have is why would I have to go register with MyDomain.com, if my domain.net name is already registered with the registrar's DNS servers??

So in order to turn my Mac's host and domain name to my "domain.net" name I would not have to use NetINFO!! What do I use then, log in as root and change
Hosts-Automatic- in hostconfig file to whatever I want....
And wherever it is that I change my hostname do i just put the first part of my beginign part of my domain name --> "domain"
Where do I put the domain --> ".net"

Lost as to how to configure domain names on a computer. To let you know we have a cobalt qube at work and the GUI lets me do everything transparently so I never know what files it writes to. But yes, in the host field I just put the first part of the agency's name while in the domain I put the trailing .org. Basically email and web work fine at work.

If you registered from your isp, the isp would put your domain name in their local dns servers. If you registered with the internic, you would have to provide your addresses for your dns servers (those you are running yourself) or the registrar's dns servers which contains all the records pertaining to your domain -> your ip address.

Mydomain.com is a web based domain configuration tool, you can manage your domain there. Its not registering a new domain.

Turning your mac's domainname doesn't help in the dns process it helps only in Netinfo's case (to group a bunch of computers together in a LAN/WAN). It's like assigning an NT Domain. The most important thing is your Dns servers for your web services. Confirm your cnames, aliases and mx records on your registrar's dns servers, see if its pointing to your correct internet address. After updating you have to wait about 4 days for the update to occur round the globe. After that time, try pinging your hostnames.domain.net. See if it replies with your correct ip address and that it is alive. Once that is out of the way, then we can start on your web services.

I was a Cobalt Qube/Raq administrator in my previous job. It's simple to use provided you know what to do. Take the Qube's concept and apply it onto the problem.

G4 500x2
1.2 GB RAM
2 X 40GB 7200RPM
Mac OS X.1.1 only

Back