Web Pages

Silvereclipse00

Registered
I would like to get into making webpages for myself, but I am not exactly savvy with how to do so. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a (sharware or freeware?) web page developing tool that would be easy to use for a beginner.
Also,
Wondering if there is a free web posting site, such as GeoCities or AOL that works better, or gives more space than either of those.

Small budget, big dreams, no skills...Doesn't really sound like the making of a star does it?

Thanks,
Jeff

MY G5 RULES!

I would start poking around the forums at DevShed. They have lots of users from novices like you to professionals who can write a PHP- and MySQL-based database in their sleep. You might even find something useful. ;)

There are a number of (craptacular) services similar to Geocities and AOL... they include Tripod, Angelfire, Lycos, Homestead, and even MSN. (Add ".com" to the end of any of those to get the URL.) You can try those guys out and see what you think, then come back here if you don't find what you want.

I'm sure many people here would be quite happy to design a simple site for you, myself included. All you need to do is ask in the proper (read: polite) way and you'll get a number of positive responses.

Good luck! :)

I would just reccommend learning the languages that power the web - xhtml and css. There are some great tutorials and how-to's over at http://w3schools.com start out with xhtml and css, then move on to xml, then go from there. With a pretty basic knowledge and a simple text editor you can start to make some pretty cool pages!

I'd say avoid XML unless you have a specific use for it. If you actually plan to develop in XML, then by all means pick it up as best you can; but if all you want is a simple web site, you really don't need it.

I checked out XML For Dummies from the public library (on that topic, For Dummies books are always a good place to start, no matter the topic), and though I picked up the concepts pretty easily, I had some trouble getting to XSL and DTD's, and, more importantly, I found I had not good use for it.

Definitely pick up something on XHTML and CSS, and if you feel up to it start learning Javascript. It's not too complicated, but there's a lot you can do with JS and hence a lot to learn, but it can be well worth it if you can just sit down and code a little interactivity into your site without having to scrounge the web for that one particular script.

xml is a good language to learn for web design as you get more advanced, because many technologies are turning to xml to keep data structured in some form or another. Once you know xhtml you basically know xml, and there are so many different types of xml based languages out there. It being such a simple language, you will get more out of taking a little bit of time to learn it then you will from doing something els with that time.
But the best advice I could give you is to just practice. Set up some kind of a fake site, then keep working it over until you find a design you like. Then start a new project. Just take a quick xhtml/css tutorial and then throw everything you know out there into a project.

Back