Web Sharing Strangeness

fdumptch

Registered
I know this question has been asked many times and I have searched to find an answer to my specific problem but to no avail.

I'm trying to set up web sharing to put up a test site that can be accessed outside of my LAN.
The problem is being caused by the fact that I'm on ADSL - I'm sure.

I have set up port forwarding to my local IP address (not the router address) and also have changed the port in my httpd.conf to the 800x range (8004).

I can access locally by adding the changed port number to the end of my local address - but doesn't work for the outside IP address that my modem/router reports (SpeedStream 4200)

I have also set up a dynamic DNS service from dyndns.com.

Here's where the strangeness comes in - if I try to access my hosted site using the outside IP address reported by my ADSL modem/router - I get sent to a page requesting a login and password ( and I have no idea what I'm meant to type in here - but so far all my obvious choices fail).

HOWEVER... if I use my address from dyndns.com - it sends me to my modem/router setup which is usually accessed from 10.0.0.138 (??????).

Neither of these are taking me to my web site - if I add the port number to either the outside IP address or my dyndns.com name - I just get an error that the page can't be found.

Any ideas at all - or should I just give up and pay a web hosting service?

Regards
:eek:

You've definitely missed something in the setup of your router. First, double check that the port 8005 on the router is forwarded to the local IP address of your Mac. You generally shouldn't need to change the port you're serving on, anyway, as you should be able to set your router to forward the port to your local port 80.

symphonix - I have this port forwarded as I mentioned.
I have set up port forwarding to my local IP address (not the router address) and also have changed the port in my httpd.conf to the 800x range (8004).

I used port 8004 as I was told that port 80 is blocked by my ISP.
In any case - it doesn't work even if I leave it as port 80

Back