WebDav Help

mindbend

Registered
I want to start using this WebDav thing now that Adobe's product line is incorporating it and my tiny workgroup or two people can take advantage of it.

My understanding is that OS X can function as a WebDav server with some minor mods. I did a bit of web research on this and the sources were all referring to OS X Beta, which required some manual modification of some files. Has this gotten easier/better in 10.1? I couldn't find anything about WebDav in Apple's own help.

Could someone point me to a place that goes through ste by step how to set up my Mac as a WebDav server? Keep in mind, I am not a coder/hacker/programmer/terminal jockey.

Also, can I use my main machine that I work on as the server while I'm working on it or should I really be using a dedicated server box?

My setup is a Win2K Adv Server box serving files to two G4s. Can we set up WebDav on the Win2K box? Or should I try to use one of the G4s?

Win2K's IIS5 web server supports WebDav protocol, you just enbale the IIS5, define the web root, and then enable the directory listing. Now you can access the Win2K server by WebDav. Before do that, please install al the Win2K patchs from Microsoft, especially if your network is connected to the internet.

Look I don't want to get flame, but the question was about Mac OS X and setting up Apache to work WebDAV . Not IIS .

I too am in this boat. I want to set up my G4 to be able WebDAV. I have gotten to work mysql, php, and Portgressql. Just like my linux server.

Working with Linux since 96, I was happy to here that Mac OS X was running Apache under the hood for personal server.

But I know I am going on over nothing. I just wish it was easy to get this one thing working. I have read O'Reily and a dozen other site but I can't get it to work with 10.1.5. So if anyone know the answer to my holy quest and this person to, for the love of what ever you worship tell us. WebDAV is there, installed. iDisk is using so why can Apache use it too. :(

Anyway, just want to vent because I am looking high and low.

Chuck Payne
Magi Design

My setup is a Win2K Adv Server box serving files to two G4s. Can we set up WebDav on the Win2K box? Or should I try to use one of the G4s?

The link I posted not only explains how to install mod_dav, but also how to configure it. Maybe I should have said that too.

Anyway, inside your httpd.conf, add the following line:

DAVLockDB [Wherever you want that davlock, maybe /Library/WebServer/davlocks/]

Then you can enable Dav inside one or more directories by putting the line
DAV On
inside one or more of your < Directory> or < Location> directives.
Make sure you don't have a Limit directive in there that limits the methods only to Get and Post, cause it won't work that way.

Also remember that anyone will be able to write to these directories right now if you don't put a little more security in there.

I suggest to take a look at the link I posted above, look for the section Apache Configuration and take a look especially at the Sample Configurations.

Oh, and I almost forgot:
Uncomment the lines

Loadmodule dav_module ...
Addmodule mod_dav.c

inside your httpd.conf, if they aren't already.

>>Look I don't want to get flame, but the question was about Mac OS X and setting up >>Apache to work WebDAV . Not IIS .

Did you miss this line or something?
>>Can we set up WebDav on the Win2K box?

I don't think he cares what server or OS is running WebDAV. He just wants to be able to use it.

Back