WebObjects 5 deployment on OS X / OS X Server?

Thies

Registered
Just found this at the WO 5 apple webpage
( http://www.apple.com/webobjects/techspecs.html )

-------------
Deployment platforms
— WebObjects applications are designed to work with any Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 1.3 runtime environment, using JDBC 2.0 for universal database connectivity. The following platforms are fully qualified and supported:

— Mac OS X Server v10.0
— Windows 2000 Pro
— Solaris 8
---------------

Does this mean that you can deploy WO 5 on OS X, but OS X Server is the recomended platform? Or doesn't it run on OS X at all?

What are the advantages of OS X Server compared to OS X?

mfg Thies

I am almost positive that it's possible to deploy on OS X for two reasons:

a) Mac OS X Server is based on the same code base as Mac OS X.

b) I went to an Apple presentation about OS X recently, and the rep showed me a copy of pre-release WebObjects 5 running on the Client. So, I think it's possible.

Originally posted by Thies
Just found this at the WO 5 apple webpage
( http://www.apple.com/webobjects/techspecs.html )

-------------
Deployment platforms
ÑÊWebObjects applications are designed to work with any Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 1.3 runtime environment, using JDBC 2.0 for universal database connectivity. The following platforms are fully qualified and supported:
Ê
ÑÊMac OS X Server v10.0
ÑÊWindows 2000 Pro
ÑÊSolaris 8
---------------

Does this mean that you can deploy WO 5 on OS X, but OS X Server is the recomended platform? Or doesn't it run on OS X at all?

What are the advantages of OS X Server compared to OS X?

mfg Thies

I downloaded the WO 5 trial version from ADC last night and installed it on OS X (client).

As far as I can see it works fine.

Originally posted by Thies
I downloaded the WO 5 trial version from ADC last night and installed it on OS X (client).

I saw that that was available, but I didn't download it: is that one an easy uninstall? I don't want to install trial software like that otherwise...

I dont really know if it is easy to uninstall. Didn't try it yet ;-)

After I installed WO, I upgraded my apache and had some problems to have apache accept the WO-modules.

Back