Weird airport problem

heathpitts

Registered
Ok let me start. I have an epson printer attached to my windows xp machine. I want to share this through my airport extreme base station to my 12 pb. Here is where the problem starts. It will work easily when I have both the xp and pb hooked up by an ethernet switch. whenever either one is set up wirelessly, the pb will not hook up to xp machine nor will it browse any windows networks. hook it up by ethernet and everything is fine. My AE base station has the printer sharing port on it and it is supported per apple's website, but that won't work either.

Are there any suggestions out there?

looks like you have a very rigorous network setting, when you switch to airport. Did you check your settings under sharing while using airport? Does ping work?
I don't have a AE base station, but maybe you have no correct access to the base station?!? Are you using DHCP or manual ip?
I think you should first forget about the printer and try to fix the network. After that you can think of the printersharing.

no there is no rigorous setting. It is like the airport is filtering out the network from doing windows file sharing. My laptop does not do this at work (linksys access point - dhcp). It does not do this when it is plugged straight into the network at home. It only does this when it is connected wirelessly to the ae base station (dhcp - ae base station). It will not print to printers supported by the ae base station per apple's website.

ok this seems to be the problem. when using dhcp, the airport gives out addresses of 10.0.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. When using Win XP and typing in a static ip of 10.0.1.201 it auto creates the subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 which would be correct. After changing this to 255.255.255.0 Everything works.

Would the 255.0.0.0 not be the correct subnet for 10.0.1.x? If so why is the airport sending out the 255.255.255.0 subnet?

Did you try setting up the network location manually? You will be able to define the subnet mask on your own than.

I got it working by setting up the connection manually on the xp box. I have an ftp server set up on it to use Dantz Retrospect to back up my home dir. I just thought it was weird that the airport would be sending out that subnet.

Everything works now including windows network browsing.

Back