Weird Apple Mail Problems

Izzy

luv my lil' malteaser
Hello all...I don't know if this has been happening to anyone else lately, but my Mail app is going a little crazy. Messages take forever to be received (sometimes a few hours) and for the last couple days whenever I send an email, I can't read it later in my sent messages folder. All I get is a line that says:

"The message from Name <email@mac.com> concerning “Subject line of email” is temporarily unavailable. (also in the list of emails, I can't see the name of the person I sent the mail to...weird stuff)

Any of you have any clues as to what this could be? I've been having to save my emails in a text file before I send them out becuase if I need to read them later I can't use Mail. Any help would be appreciated.

A picture is attached to give you guys a better idea of what i'm talking about.

Attachments

• mailproblem.jpg
    mailproblem.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
Are you using a POP or IMAP account for that? If it's IMAP, it may be unable to talk to the server, since everything is managed and kept on the server with IMAP.

Thanks for the reply...how do I determine that?

This is just my regular iTools account that I'm using to send mail with...so I believe it is IMAP right?

Sorry if I don't answer right away...headed off for lecture...

Under Mail > Preferences > Accounts > <account name> > Edit it should say something like "Account Type: POP Mail" or "Account Type: IMAP Mail," or something similar.

When I go to the prefs of the mac.com account it shows IMAP under the popup menu, but it is grayed out and I can't select anything.

Something else I just noticed...if you look at the pic, it shows that I have two sent message folders...one with the icon and the one with a generic folder icon...all of my sent mail shows up under the folder that seems to go with my yahoo account (but for some reason when I go to yahoo mail it shows that my sent message folder is empty). The sent mail folder in my mac.com account is empty...

Are there any ways for me to retrieve this sent email manually? I'd really like to have them becuase I'm not sure if they all went through and they were long ones :rolleyes:

Should I just delete the yahoo account and then see if that does it? I'm really confused as to why things would stop working all of the sudden. I haven't changed any settings on this thing since the day I got it working.

Thanks for the help

Appreciate your replies Danny...I think I got it all sorted out after some tinkering around...

Things seem to be working fine now...I even found all those emails I sent, they did go through thankfully.

:cool:

I, too, have noticed that it has been taking a few hours or even half a day for me to receive a few e-mails in my mac.com accounts. Maybe there's a more general problem? Or it could be due to the fact that I accessed my mail account through Apple's WebMail service..

Nope, Hotmail uses proprietary MS HTTP connections, not POP or IMAP.

You'd be better off switching to Mac.com and get away from Hotmail. The main advantage you'll notice is less spam. Mac.com is less of a target to spammers than Hotmail.

I'm sure Apple is aware of the Mac.com speed issues. It may have something to do with the webmail eating up a lot of Mac.com's bandwidth or something.

Back