Weird connectivity problem

anmeier

Registered
I just upgraded to Tiger with no problems. However, since I've done that, I have noted very bizarre connectivity issues. My home network is airport based, connected to a cable modem. I have no problem connecting to the internet. Ping also works. What troubles me is that ssh, ftp, telnet etc all stopped working, I get a "no route to host" error message. All these services work within my local network, however. At this point I don't even know how to troubleshoot this problem :( . If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it!

Andreas

Um, are you saying that ssh, ftp, telnet, etc don't work when you try outside the local network or on the local network?

If you mean from outside the local network, then that's pretty normal. You need to go into the Airport Admin Utility, click to configure the base station, and select the Port Mapping tab. From there you can pick which machines get which service.

If you mean that you can't do these on the local network, then how are you trying to connect?

To clarify:

ssh from local machine into other local machine (all connected through airport): no problem.

ssh from local machine to other host outside local network: "no route to host" error.

Did not have this problem before. Port mapping won't help, as I do not want to get into the local network, but out. All this started with installation of Tiger, no problems before.

Thanks for your help, though.

Back