Weird Folders Appearing on Desktop

Chiaroscuro

Registered
I'm running Mac OS 10.5.5 on a Intel Mac Pro and seeing this strange problem that has me stumped. At regular intervals, the OS is creating locked folders that have strange names that look like hex (E6A8F15A-9BD5-45CC-A54A-EBD6E25C5053-228-00007DE458ADF42D is a folder name on one of them currently) on the desktop. These folders appear to be copies of a DVD burn folder that I had created and then deleted after burning the DVD. In fact, the original files in that burn folder have also been deleted after burning and no longer exist on any disk.

If the computer is running for a few hours, there are tons of these folders created on the desktop. I can drag them into the trash bin if I click ok to the message that says these are locked folders. Then I can empty the trash bin if I click option and they are deleted from the trash bin. Meanwhile more are created on my desktop!

Anyone seen anything like this or have some pointers? I've checked permission on the boot disk using Disk Utility and it found nothing wrong. I have also deleted the Finder plists in ~/Library/Preferences. Anything else I can do? I've been trying to figure out what process is creating these folders but no luck. I suspect it could be the Finder since it was a burn folder, but don't know where to look to diagnose and fix this annoyance.

Any help, pointers very much appreciated

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.5 on a Intel Mac Pro and seeing this strange problem that has me stumped. At regular intervals, the OS is creating locked folders that have strange names that look like hex (E6A8F15A-9BD5-45CC-A54A-EBD6E25C5053-228-00007DE458ADF42D is a folder name on one of them currently) on the desktop[...]

Anyone seen anything like this or have some pointers? I've checked permission on the boot disk using Disk Utility and it found nothing wrong...

Well, I'm seeing something rather similar on my 10.4.11 G4 system but the strange items are files instead of folders. They're usually locked, but not always, and they're always the same size (4.3 MB).

And in my case I have a hunch that they're somehow associated with running Firefox, instead of having anything to do with a burn folder. I've also checked permissions and used Disk Utility to check for problems, but all was good there.

Last night I used Ask A Tech to post a query about this. I'll let you know if they're able to turn up something helpful that might somehow work for you, too.

Hi Gtackett,
I managed to solve my problem - it was happening due to virtual desktops being turned on. Not sure what led me to suspect the virtual desktops but anyways, I turned the virtual desktop engine off (I use You Control Desktops), restarted the system and then turned You Control Desktops on again. No more problem.

Not sure if this helps you.

Good luck!

Wow! I am also using You Control: Desktops!

I'll have to try what you suggest. Did you report this to the You Control: people?

Were you also having any problems with Finder crashing? I'm seeing that when I try to open a certain file.

Back