Weird font characters in OSX Mail & Safari

richardcee

Registered
This may be a FontReserve setting issue but I often get jumbles fonts in Mail and Safari. It usually takes a relaunch of both applications to fix this.

Any ideas what's gong on?

TIA

RC

Hi There

I can't be of any help I'm afraid, but I'm having exactly the same problem! Tried all of the preference settings for displaying emails / text and the problems persists. Furthermore, for some reason Safari has decided to stop displaying images, be they photos or artwork on a particular webpage. I'm having to use IE for the moment as Safari is just so unreliable. Re-installed it and still no luck.

Anyone got any better ideas?!

Cheers!
P-M

I have the same problem too, from time to time. Someone else told me that different versions of helvetica, especially "fractions" can conflict with Safari and how it displays text. Make sure you have all your font conflicts resolved and it should make Safari work right.

Try playing with the font size of Safari when you see the weird characters and they sometimes go away… :)

Thanks very much for the help - couldn't work out the Safari image display issue in the ned, so I took the easy route and switched to Firefox for my default browser. I thought Safari was slick, but this is even quicker!

P-M

:)

You can also check Font Book to make sure to turn off any duplicate Helvetica and Verdana fonts…

Good on ya for downloading Firefox! I'm considering it myself. :)

Natobasso has it right. Font Book's listing identifies duplicate fonts
by marking with a bullet to the right. Just disable the dups.

Been having this probs on one of our G5s in Safari - I posted an earlier thread about language in Safari - someone told me the weird jumbled-up numbers effect was actually Gudgerati (yes, and I believed them, no I didnt look properly).
Anyway, can confirm removing Helvetica Fractions fixes it - in Extensis Suitcase in this instance.

Back