Weird Gimp problem?

jabhome

Registered
When running the Gimp in X-Free86 rootless the pointer disapears behind the picture window which make the Gimp useless. Has anyone figured out how to correct this problem. Under fullscree mode the Gimp does not have this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

When running the Gimp in X-Free86 rootless the pointer disapears behind the picture window which make the Gimp useless. Has anyone figured out how to correct this problem. Under fullscree mode the Gimp does not have this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi, I am running WindowMaker on X on OSX 10.1. Yesterday I used Fink to install Gimp - I'm a definite newby here and I can't believe it actually worked - but there is a strange problem. Gimp seems to start up fine, but when I choose a drawing tool and move my cursor to the document/image area I have no cursor, nothing. As soon as I move the cursor the document window it disappears, though I can still draw, smudge or select... areas using the vertical and horizontal slider/indicator things, but it sure is tough to get any precision!

I can't believe this is normal. I have tried all kinds of tools and documents - photos, blank, transparent... and the only thing I do seem to get is a cursor for the Text tool. Do you think there is something wrong with my install - perhaps something to the effect that something needs to point to a file of cursor images somewhere? If so, any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi jabhome - Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have the same problem and posted a thread before searching on the issue (oops). If I get any replies, I'll be sure to let you know.

Hey jcpowers21, I was trying to give you a break, but here you are again. I am in rootless and for some reason I can't get X to run in full screen. This is what I get:

[localhost:~] dean% startx -- -quartz

Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way. Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes@XFree86.Org. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.99.1 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
Release Date: xx September 2001
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin
Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
Display mode: Full screen Quartz
Screen 0 added: 1152x870 @ (0,0)
Screen 1 added: 1152x870 @ (1152,0)
PanoramiX error: Incompatible screens. No common visuals

Fatal server error:
could not create connection block info
OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[localhost:~] dean%

Is the dual monitor issue a problem?

Sounds like you're not running the latest version of XDarwin which was recently upgraded, and fixes the disappearing cursor problem with Gimp.

Jason, I posted a similar thread before finding yours and a few nice macosx folks posted the answer - upgrade to XDarwin 1.04 and your gimp cursor problem will be solved.

I got it straight from http://www.xdarwin.org/download/: and being something of a newby, found the instructions very simple. Works great now in rootless, but I cannot get it to run full screen - I think this may be due to my having dual displays though.

Has anyone logged in as >console and tried using XWindows their, their used to be a bug, but now their is an update and I am not in X...I will try it later and post back if anyone hasn't tried it.

Justin

I spoke too soon. With XDarwin 1.04 I am now getting a disappearing cursor between applications, windows, icons - very strange. Seems to happen when I have a few applications open. I'll try to find a pattern to this, but I believe this was listed as a bug fix from 1.0a3 to 1.04, but I never had this in 1.0a3!

From Max Horn on the fink mailing list....

<b>
To cite the XDarwin 1.0.4 release notes:

* Fixed disappearing cursor in rootless mode often seen with GIMP. In cases where the cursor would have disappeared, the Aqua arror cursor is now displayed instead.
</b>
<blockquote>
Of course this is an ugly work around, but without help from Apple (i.e. they need top open the corresponding APIs) there is no way to fix the problem otherwise.
</blockquote>
install the most recent version of XDarwin!!!

I spoke too soon - gimp is fine in 1.04, but I now have all kinds of bizzare disappearing cursor problems between different applications.

I have merged this thread with two others dealing with the same issue. Please keep the double posts to a minimum and run a quick search of your problem, this will help use provide the most efficent help for everyone!

-jdog

Back