Weird Internet Download Speed Problem

f_h_petrone

Mac User
Hi!
I contacted my ISP because I thought they were restricting my bandwith when I started noticing that my download speed for files was around 50 kbps (I purchased a 512kbps ADSL line)
Different DSL speedtests around the web confirm that result. and the actual web browsing is really slow, like dial-up
The weird thing is that I tried downloading 10 times the same file from the same location at the same time and add up all the download speeds and the result was around 450kbps. The lights on the modem indicated heavy activity (wich didn't happen before with a single file download)
The upload speed is constant around 100kbps (my line has a rated upload of 128 kbps)
I tried the Broadband Tuner, to no avail.
The thing is: Is there any way I can rule out an issue with my machine, so I can keep fighting with the ISP? Does the 10 file download confirm that the problem resides in my mac? If it does, how can I fix it? And if it doesn't how can I prove it conclusively to the ISP technician coming on Wednesday?
Many Many Thanks in advance!!!!.
Fede

50kbps is correct for 512 ADSL. When I ran my 512 connection through speedtest my results were 422kb/s for upload and 102kb/s for download. So I'm not actually geting full throttle as I should be, so your results on the test should read higher then mine.

Slow web browsing could be Safari it's self if that's what you are using. You can speed up Safari by going under Safari Menu and select 'Empty Cache' and even select Reset Safari as well, just be aware it will remove your History and log in details for Forums and other sites etc

Good Luck

I'm sorry but I think you read things the other way around. I mean You should have 422 kbps DOWNLOAD and 102 UPLOAD. In any case, my 50kbps (that's kilobits per second not kilobytes) is 10 times less than what I should have, 'cause the line is rated as 512d/128u and I'm getting 50d/100u or something like that.

Back