Weird item in trash won't go away.

Frida

Registered
I have a file named "‰'g•ý ’ø.å¼z" permanently present in the trash. It doesn't get deleted when emptying the trash but if I attempt to drag it out or 'get info' about it it disappears. However, if I then click on the now empty trash can it immediately reappears. So far I've tried this:

• I have checked the disk with DiskUtility from the install disk.

• I repaired permissions which revealed this message:
"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired."
This message has appeared for the past 2-3 months every time I repair permissions.

• I created a new temporary user account with the same privileges (admin) as my standard account. When logged in as this user the strange item in the trash is gone! Thus it would seem that something associated with the Home folder is not right.

• I checked all preferences via Terminal command. No corrupt pref found. I then checked them manually by dragging them out of the Prefs folder in groups, then logging out and in again but the problem persists.

• I deleted all Login items, logged out and back in again but no go.

Short of deleting everything in the Home folder (which would probably stuff things right up) or do a clean re-install I don't know what to do about this one. Any suggestions?

Do you have OnyX installed? I know there is an Empty Trash option which I thought might work in this case. I run OnyX from my Admin account which is about one of the few times I ever log into this Admin acct.

Another thing could be to boot from your install disc and run the "Repair" disc ...

I'm sure this is not a serious issue but I too would rather the pesky file stopped showing up if it were me ... I've often seen files that wouldn't disappear when I emptied the Trash but when I open the Trash and select the file, it disappears for good unlike your file.

Open Terminal and type cd .Trash at the prompt and press enter, then type ls -lai and press enter.

Does the file show up?

example:
Code:
/Users/j/.Trash $l
total 77712
11839134 drwx------   5 j  j       170 Oct 30 18:00 .
 3888303 drwxr-xr-x  35 j  j      1190 Oct 30 10:44 ..
11845156 -rw-r--r--@  1 j  j     37993 Oct 30 17:51 494x_rrod-pumpkin.jpg
11845256 -rw-r--r--@  1 j  j     51485 Oct 30 18:00 capital-gate.jpg
11844035 -rw-r--r--@  1 j  j  39692818 Oct 30 15:40 crossover-games-demo-7.1.1.dmg

Thanks for your quick replies, guys/gals.
Do you have OnyX installed? I know there is an Empty Trash option which I thought might work in this case…another thing could be to boot from your install disc and run the "Repair" disc...
Tried both but no go.
Open Terminal and type cd .Trash at the prompt and press enter, then type ls -lai and press enter.

Does the file show up?
Nope. I get this:

Code:
Last login: Fri Oct 31 10:02:00 on console
You have mail.
frida-parkers-computer:~ frida$ cd .Trash
frida-parkers-computer:.Trash frida$ ls -lai
total 0
45193551 drwx------   2 frida  frida    68 31 Oct 10:03 .
  555866 drwxr-xr-x+ 48 frida  frida  1632 31 Oct 10:02 ..
frida-parkers-computer:.Trash frida$

Did some snooping with FileBuddy and found a file called "‰'g•ý" which is the first part of the name of the weird file. Probably the same file. I found it on my XP partition, more specifically .Trashes/501/‰'g•ý I rebooted in XP, emptied the Recycling bin and WHAMM……the file is still in my trash bin on restart in Leopard [pulling hair out in frustration]. I don't think the presence of it indicates a problem worth worrying about but it annoys the cr@p out of me!! FileBuddy can't delete it. I even deleted the .Trash folder in my Home folder but when it is recreated on login the file reappears. Any suggestions are welcome.

Can you try renaming the file from "‰'g•ý ’ø.å¼z" to say, "X" and see if it'll delete then?

Can you try renaming the file from "‰'g•ý ’ø.å¼z" to say, "X" and see if it'll delete then?

Thanks for your reply, VirtualTracy. I can't change the name. Trying gives me a -43 error (the file/folder can't be found) which again suggests the file could be from the Windoze side of the drive. I think the computer is confusing the two trash bins with each other. Who ever founded the expression 'artificial intelligence' anyway? Computers are soooo STUPID!

I have definitely identified the Windoze partition as the source of the file. It was easy. I simply 'ejected' the XP partition and the file in the trash vanished. I then mounted it again using DiskUtility and the file reappeared. I tried to use terminal to delete the file by typing…

rm -rf WIN XP/.Trash/501

…the '501' being the folder in the Recycing Bin containing the #@* file but no go. I may need some kind of utility running in XP to fix this. I hate Windoze but unfortunately need it from time to time so I don't want to remove the partition.

Last edited:
Have you only just recently added the XP partition? Are you using Boot Camp? It sounds like it may be left over from the installation ....??

I have had the XP partition for 5-6 months but the weird file has only been there for a week or so. I did a search on problems with Bootcamp and similar things have happened to other people. The general opinion seem to be not to worry too much about it. The file may persist but is unlikely to cause a problem. I just don't like having a file permanently in the trash. It's like having gum stuck to the bottom of your paper basket - it's just … 'messy.'

Did some snooping with FileBuddy and found a file called "‰'g•ý" which is the first part of the name of the weird file. Probably the same file. I found it on my XP partition, more specifically .Trashes/501/‰'g•ý

This file that is on your XP partition, have you any idea what it is used for? You could try googling it to see if it's safe to remove. Removing it might help get rid of the file in your Trash.

I don't fully understand this bit:

... more specifically .Trashes/501/‰'g•ý

Does Windows Xp have the same Trash invisible folder hierarchy as Mac OS? The .Trashes/501/ folder IS on the Windows Partition, right?

There's a Terminal command you use then you can drag the Trash file (Mac OS partition) to the Terminal window and see the full path to it ... then maybe you could use the rm command with that full path as a means of deleting it.

I forgot to ask earlier, if you had used the press Option as you empty the Trash?

I don't fully understand this bit:

Quote:
... more specifically .Trashes/501/‰'g•ý
Does Windows Xp have the same Trash invisible folder hierarchy as Mac OS? The .Trashes/501/ folder IS on the Windows Partition, right?

There's a Terminal command you use then you can drag the Trash file (Mac OS partition) to the Terminal window and see the full path to it ... then maybe you could use the rm command with that full path as a means of deleting it.

WIN XP/.Trash/501 is the path to the folder the file is in on the XP partition, and I tried rm -rf WIN XP/.Trash/501 in terminal to remove it but it stays put. I think it may have to be dealt with from within XP, not OS X, even though it technically is on the same volume.

Bear with me Frida as I'm guessing here, but what if you go into the Windows partition and drag the file out of the .Trash/501 (It is probably a hidden file and I don't know how to enable those in XP), onto the XP desktop, rename it to something and then try deleting it for good from the XP partition.

Hopefully then, the idea would be that if it's gone from XP then it won't show up in your Macs Trash ....

Hi Frida, try this:

Boot from your Windows XP install CD/DVD, and use the Repair Windows option to repair your Windows XP partition.

Then reboot back into Mac OS X and tell me if the file has gone ... fingers x'd :)

Sorry, VirtualTracy. I may not have made it clear that I can't actually drag the file anywhere. It simply disappears, which seems promising but when I go back to that folder the file is still there. It's like it's there but it's not … or it's not there but it is … or not … meh

Ok, let's clarify, there is a file in Mac OS X Trash that won't let you do anything to as it disappears if you select it, right?

Then there is the file in your XP .Trash/501 folder (which I take is a hidden file)?

Do I gather correctly, that neither file will let you modify/move/get info?

Did you see my previous post about booting from the Win XP disc? I have a strong feeling that this might work ....

BTW, this is a technically tricky scenario but I feel you've done a fabulous job in describing it, and the confusion is all mine ;)

Sorry, VirtualTracy. I didn't see your second post B4 I posted my reply. I'll try repairing Windows … as soon as I get my XP disc back from my brother-in-law. 'Don't touch that dial.'

Have you tried "secure empty trash"-it overwrites every thing with double zero's. ?
this may do it for you. good luck
Dickster-------------------------------------

Hi. I had a very similar issue with a "locked" plug-in that wouldn't delete upon emptying trash, both secure and otherwise. I did all the stuff posted here such as repair permissions, etc. I even used (and highly recommend!!) a shareware utility called Cocktail, which goes alot farther than the OS-included Disk Utility for repairing permissions, cleaning caches and logs, but the item remained undaunted in the trash. Finally, after wonderfully in-depth Q & A with tech on this site, it was suggested that I try "Trash It!" a freeware utility that forces trash to empty. It worked on the first try and is super awesome. You can download it here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14884
Maybe it will help with your situation. Hope so... Scot.

Back