Weird item in trash won't go away.

Thanks for your replies, DICKSTER & scotlovesmacs. The 'secure empty trash' or Cocktail won't work here, I'm afraid. The problem here is that the file is not in the Mac Trash bin but in the XP Reycling bin. The computer gets confused with these two folders, it would seem. Further, the file is probably some corrupt bit of leftovers which can't be emptied from the Windows side either. I will try to restart from my XP install disk and run the 'Repair Windows' command … as soon as I get my XP disk back. I'll let you know how I go.

Hi. You may want to try Trash It! anyway. It might work on the XP side, and even if it doesn't, it's a great utility to have for the future. You've got nothing to lose... Off the subject, I get a laugh that the Windows OS's have used the pc-correct term "Recycle Bin" when we all know that whatever is in there is really just plain old trash. Nothing's being recycled, it's just junk trash needing to be thrown away and permanently deleted with no further recyclable use. Sorry, I digress.

'Trash It' didn't do the job but repairing Windoze from the XP install disk did! The file is gone from both bins, hopefully never to return. Thanks to everyone who came with suggestions. I appreciate your help :c)

Great news Frida !! I had a good feeling about that ... that the XP disc was going to be the saviour that removed that strange file from your Trash for good :)

I'm glad it worked ;)

I've had the same problem with this weird file in my trash that won't go away. I partitioned my hard drive for mac and windows. If you have the same setup I can tell you how to get rid of that annoying file in the trash....Permanently!! It's extremely simple.

Note: Do this only if you have nothing on your Window Drive.

1. In the Finder at the top of your screen select Go.
2. Select Utilities.
3. Open Disk Utility.
4. In the window on your left select your Windows Drive.
5. Select Erase.
6. Next to Security Options you'll see Erase again. Select it.

Trust me. This works!

Last edited:
Thanks Macman46 but the problem is solved. See VirtualTracy's post Nov 1st last year and mine from Nov 28th. Repairing Windows from the XP install disk did the job :)

I think he was suggesting that if you remove Windooz all of your problems in life will be solved. . . .

:)

--J.D.

Back