Weird Key Combination

AKMedia

Registered
Just thought someone might be able to explain something strange that I did accidentally today... I was trying to navigate to a folder from the Finder using the key combination Option-Shift-g and instead typed Option-Shift-u. Strangely, the program Navigator opened up to a page with the URL of my local desktop. I quit Navigator and I tried it again. Same thing happened but this time Console popped up with a crash log to let me know that the fix-prebindings application (I think?) had crashed and that there was an error fixing prebindings...

Does anyone know why this happened and what it means?

Thanks.

This is rather strange ... Did you have an installer running at the time? Pre-binding is what the installer is doing when it says it is "Optimising System Performance" and it is unwise to interrupt this process as it will produce an error.
You can manually re-run the prebinding from the terminal using the command "sudo update_prebinding".
The command option-shift-U on mine opens Chimera Navigator too, so I'd assume it is a shortcut specific to that program (Chimera is not my default browser).

I don't know about the crash, but as for Navigator -- go to the Finder, then click on the Finder menu, go to services and see what the shortcut for "Open URL in Navigator" is.

You are right. Checked the Services menu in the Finder and it is indeed the key combo for Open URL in Navigator. Thanks!! Not sure what the crash was either, though I had some new fonts open in Suitcase that may have actually caused yet another crash: ContentIndexing process crashed twice until I deactivated the 2 new fonts.

Now everything is back to normal -- I hope!

Thanks again.

Back