Weird monitor issue

arracado

Registered
Hello all--
Hoping to get some help here, as I've not been able to find any explanation for this problem. Here are my system specs:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed:400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed:100 MHz
Boot ROM Version:4.2.8f1

Video:
ATY,Rage128Pro:

Type:display
Bus:AGP
Slot:SLOT-A
VRAM (Total):16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID:0x5046
Revision ID:0x0000
ROM Revision:113-63001-108

Display:
Resolution:1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Depth:32-bit Color
Mirror:Off
Online:Yes
Main Display:Yes

Second monitor:
ATY,Rage128:

Type:display
Bus:pCI
Slot:SLOT-B
VRAM (Total):16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID:0x5245
Revision ID:0x0000
ROM Revision:113-57406-108

Display:
Resolution:1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth:32-bit Color
Mirror:Off
Online:Yes

The problem I am having is with the second monitor, bolded above. It is an AcerView 76c. When the monitor was first hooked up, it was recognized as a VGA in the Display control panel. I did the calibration on it, which created a VGA Calibrated profile. I was able to select a resolution of 1152 x 870, which is ideal for my setup. Anything higher would not work properly, and anything smaller is too small. Everything was fine......until the first time I shut down.

Upon reboot the next morning, I noticed my settings were not the same. I opened the Display control panel, and found that the VGA and VGA Calibrated profiles were gong, and that the monitor was being recognized only as "Display." I now only have the following resolutions to choose from:
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1280x1024

The 1280 resolutions won't work, no matter the refresh rate. One time, I was able to get the VGA settings to return. This happened after I tried a different monitor in the AcerView's place. I shut down, hooked up the other monitor, rebooted, but realized it was far too fuzzy to be looking at all day. When I hooked the AcerView back up, all of a sudden it was recognized as VGA again--even the VGA Calibrated profile I created was there. However, I shut down over the weekend, only to return yesterday to find the same problem had occurred. On the advice of our in-house tech support, I have tried the following:
Boot with only the main monitor hooked up, shut down, reconnect the second monitor, reboot. Didn't work.
Turn monitor on before turning the computer on. Didn't work.
Checked to make sure the cable was securely connected. It was. It still doesn't work.

So there's my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I have that video card, the ATI 128 GL device ID 0x5245. And I used it as a second video card in a 450 Mhz G4 with no problems.

But I am thinking of removing it and installing it in my dual 2 GHz G5 in a PCI X slot. I have read I could damage my machine if I use a 66 Mhz bus card in the PCI X slot.

Have you any idea of the bus speed, signalling voltage on this card..thanks

:D

Back