weird networking problem....

f_h_petrone

Mac User
Hi I'm new to Mac OS X. Previously I've been working with OS9 on a Beige G3. I was sharing my USB DSL modem via ethernet with an iMac G3/350 running Panther (the modem was connected to the iMac with internet sharing on). Both machines could surf the web without trouble. Recently I bought an iMac G5, it came with Tiger. I'm trying to set up the same network I previously had but I can't. The ethernet link keeps coming down in both machines. The "network status" pane in system preferences shows a red dot on the side of Built-in ethernet annd says "the ethernet cable is not plugged in". Restarting, changing things, touching controls, etc EVENTUALLY gets the dot green but it goes red again in seconds. I could surf fine with both machines last night. Today I couldn't. Moreover my NNetwork satus pane is empty. I checked "network Port configurations" and built-in ethernet is checked. I don't know what to do.....

Any help, please?

thank you all.

nobody can help?

I'm desperate

today I could surf at noon.... i changed the setting from DHCP to Manual in both computers.

5 hours later (both machines were shut down and then restarted) i couldn't surf.... red dot again besides built-in ethernet

Maybe there's a problem with the auto-sensing on the NICs? What is the speed of your network? You can set them manually to a different speed in System Prefs-->Network. Select the Ethernet port and click on Ethernet. Change it from automatically to advanced and play with the duplex and speed settings there. I've had this issue on some PCs and doing this has fixed the problem.

well, it turned out it was a cable problem.
i went to the store and they said "yes, we've had that problem before. the cable gets broken inside and the signal is lost, try moving it around a bit and it should eventually work"
They wouldn't give my money back so i did what they told me..... and voila! it works, but if i move it a bit the connection comes down again. I ended up duck-taping it to the wall.....

Is it something that can posisbly be soldered back into place or is it inside the actual shaft of the cable?

inside the actual shaft......
weird, right?
but true. to correct the problem I started twisting the cable around until the green dot appeared on the screen....

Can you deduce how the cable looks like from the inside from the ends that are making contact with the board? How many wires does it have coming out of the shaft? It's possible that maybe you can replace this faulty cable with something else.

I sure will replace the cable as soon as possible, of course, but I wanted to post the solution to the problem for future reference.... I cannot see right now how many cables are in the shaft, I will disconnect the network and then I tell you.

Back