Weird success with 10.1 on Beige G3

Fansom

Registered
My machine is Beige G3/266 upgraded with 384MB RAM, 40GB HD, Sonnet G4/500 ZIF with an Orange Micro FireWire card and a Belkin USB card.

I have been running 10.0.4 so have been anxious to try out the new release. Picked up the 10.1 update at a local Apple rep in Pasadena.

In installing the update, I noticed that the machine would STOP DOING ANYTHING unless I moved the mouse. Translation: even the animation on the glowing blue progress bar woud *stop*. In order to keep the install moving forward I had to basically jiggle the mouse. Seriously, no pun intended. I did this for about 4 hours (no shit, watched the new Citizen Kane DVD twice in the meantime).

It finally did install. Doesn't really seem that much faster, though the CD burning from the desktop to my FireWire Yamaha deck worked flawlessly.

I have a 266 with an XLR8 upgrade to 500. Keyspan firewire.

No probs. Except it won't see my SCSI Yamaha burner...

Originally posted by Fansom
My machine is Beige G3/266 upgraded with 384MB RAM, 40GB HD, Sonnet G4/500 ZIF with an Orange Micro FireWire card and a Belkin USB card.

I have been running 10.0.4 so have been anxious to try out the new release. Picked up the 10.1 update at a local Apple rep in Pasadena.

In installing the update, I noticed that the machine would STOP DOING ANYTHING unless I moved the mouse. Translation: even the animation on the glowing blue progress bar woud *stop*. In order to keep the install moving forward I had to basically jiggle the mouse. Seriously, no pun intended. I did this for about 4 hours (no shit, watched the new Citizen Kane DVD twice in the meantime).

It finally did install. Doesn't really seem that much faster, though the CD burning from the desktop to my FireWire Yamaha deck worked flawlessly.

It sounds hardware related, and since you have a lot of non standards going on in your machine, I'm surprised it even installed. I have a Beige G3 333, and it failed to install at the first attempt, but I booted in verbose mode and saw that it was checking video hardware when it quit, so I just removed my second g-card and it worked fine. Seem much faster here!

I have a Beige G3 266/416/60/Zip (SCSI) and it installed perfectly! I can't wait to add a Radeon card, then this computer will scream.

Fansom:
I also have a Beige G3, mine with a XLR8 G4 ZIF. What are you using to enable your cache? You may have to upgrade it. When I installed 5G24 a while back, I had the same reaction: "well, I guess it's faster..." I ran that way for a while before realizing that my XLR8 Mach Speed Control wasn't working at all. The new 2.6.0 works fine. Until that came out, I was using L2CacheConfig, the current version of which is also 10.1 safe.

Suffice it to say enabling the cache made all the difference in the world. This thing flies. (not too shabby for a 5 year old machine).

-alex.

WOW!!!!

This Beige G3 runs faster than I did to the apple store!

Beige G3 266mhz/66mhz bus overclocked to 292mhz/83mhz bus. 128megs of ram.
Orange Micro pci USB and FireWire card, extra Ethernet card (on board is shot from lightning accident), and two screens (on board video and ati Rage Orion, which is 16megs). A very un-standard instillation.

It runs great. I am as exited about 10.1 as I was about 10.0. Well, almost ;-)

I had to disconnect and re-connect my usb scroll mouse to make it light up and work (its a logitech optical). The menu's really are snappy! Graphics are good, although open-gl screen savers, well, some of them, run wrong on the rage orion. I think if I boot with no monitor on the onboard graphics, it will be fine.

Worth the 202 mile round-trip? Yes!!!

Can you see a MasterCard comercial?
Gas for 202 mile trip: $5.
Food for trip: $7.50.
Knowing Mac OS X 10.1 is free, PRICELESS!!!
There are some things money can't buy, for everything else, there is MasterCard.

(And on Monday or Sunday, when I install 10.1 on my *Quick*silver 733..... well, lets just say that even AdmiralAK will here it screaming across the Atlantic! Man, THANK YOU APPLE!!!

(even my scsi zip works.... man, this rocks!)

Can y'all get the included floppy on the beige G3s to work? I have read reports that they were not recognized under 10.0.x.

I don't want to drag my mother through upgrading to OS X and then find out that all her old files are inaccessible to her now, unless she reboots the computer...

Cheers

BTW, internal floppy is still useless. How long would it take for Apple to write a few 'unsupported' drivers for this?

Oh well, still, 10.1 on the beige is absolutely wonderful.

I've got a Beige G3/266 sitting on the shelf at my office. From the various reports, it sounds like it would be worth bringing back to life under OSX.

One question; was this the machine that OSX had to be installed within the first 8GB of the drive? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else?

Cheers.

Originally posted by kilowatt
BTW, internal floppy is still useless. How long would it take for Apple to write a few 'unsupported' drivers for this?

Oh well, still, 10.1 on the beige is absolutely wonderful.

I use it for file hosting, MP3 and PHP and MySQL test server, it runs great haven't had to do a restart since installing a 40 gig hd, it is amazing!

You are right about the requirement, as the installer will remind you.

I had to partition a 20gig drive into an 8 gig drive (first 8 gig) and a 12 gig. Then install is no problem.

Or find a drive smaller than 8 gigs.

Originally posted by legacyb4
I've got a Beige G3/266 sitting on the shelf at my office. From the various reports, it sounds like it would be worth bringing back to life under OSX.

One question; was this the machine that OSX had to be installed within the first 8GB of the drive? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else?

Cheers.

Hey, it's good to see all of us "low end" users having such good success.:D

I'm running a G3 233 at 292mhz with 512 MB Ram, 30GB drive (4/26 partition), ATI Nexus 128 Video (32 MB) and a Firewire card.

The system can become bogged down sometimes, but for the most part everthing works. I can burn from the desktop with my QueFire, dual monitors has no flaws, and the PPPoE works great so I'm pretty happy. Now all I need are apps.:(

The only thing I'm missing is Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

I have an 8100/80 PPC w/96 MB of ram on it, now running OS 8.1 on it. Think if I bought a larger hard drive, a g3 upgrade card, and a video card, X would work on it? Hehe, sounds like a fun (and expensive) project!

The 8100 is a first gen PPC (NuBus instead of PCI). Not even Rhapsody DR1 was bootable on it. If you want a *next gen* operating system on that, use MkLinux or something. :) Maybe you'll find a Copland developer release that would run on it... I say: Keep it on 8.1 :)

Just wanted to report that the install went smooth as can be. It turns out the machine only had the stock 6G drive so after partitioning 2/4 between 9.x and OS X, everything seems to work pretty well.

Surprisingly, the G3/266 is still pretty perky and would definitely make a great home machine for email, surfing, etc.

Cheers.

Originally posted by legacyb4

Back