weird trouble with programs closing

macidiot

Registered
I am having some weird trouble, and I am not sure what to do.

When ever I double click on a file, and the corresponding application opens, it will close before that application finishes opening. But if I open the application, and then double click on the file, it will open the file fine.

In case that is confusing, here is an example: I have a picture, called "Picture.jpg" If I double click on Picture.jpg, Preview starts to open, and previews icon starts bouncing in the dock, exactly like it should, before preview opens, even before it stops bouncing, preview closes, with no error dialog. But, if I open Preview by clicking on previews icon, it will open fine. Then if I double click on Picture.jpg, Picture.jpg will open in Preview, and display just fine.

This happens with every file on my computer, and is VERY annoying. Even links on web pages to files will do the same thing from safari.

I have seen a lot of computer problems in my day, but this is the first time I have seen anything like this.

Any suggestions? I am stumped! :confused:

Read my signature... Then click and read some more ;)

If your problem will not go away just ask us again... :D

PS. Did you repair permissions with Disk Utility?

I tried repair permissions, and I tried a link from your sig, neither one worked. :( any more suggestions?

well, I made a new user account, and I can open things fine in there... But I still can't from mine, Also I can't open System Preferences from the apple menu anymore. Same thing happens.

And I can't delete an account I made a while ago from system prefs either. this has been happening for a while, and I bring it up, because I think it might have something to do with it? when I click on delete user, I get the warning, and I click OK, and it takes awhile, then goes away, but the account I am trying to delete never goes away. I tried deleting it from the account I created today, and it did the same thing, I tried while logged in as root, and it did the same thing.

HELP! :(

Well, I got it fixed. I have 2 hard drives, one with 10.2.8, and one with 10.3, and I noticed that when I right clicked, and chose open with the apps that were the default were on 10.3... Since I don't 10.3 much, I deleted that drive, restarted, and BINGO! it worked! :)

Back