Weirdness of Security Update

peterclf

Registered
Two weeks ago I posted a question regarding my Ibook G4. It crashed immediately following installing the lastest security update. The Apple Hardware Test reported a Mass Storage Error that refers I believe to a corrupt root file structure being repeated after every initialization. I tried reasearching the basic problem of my inability to completean install of Panther.
I know many folks are experiencing the same or very similar issues and this is my reason for this thread. Some really cool people; both here, and in the forums @ Apple Discussions posted help and solutions to my questions. I want to thank them, all.I was persistant. I knew it wasn't my hard drive. My subsequent solution which might aide someone : Run Disk Utility off the install disk #1. Run Repair Disk,if it fails; then, Erase the disk drive. Run Repair Disk. If not repaired, run untill it is max of 4X.if this repairs Drive attempt an install. If the install isn't sucessful repeat the erase /repair. The next attempted install use customize and click off all but the system install. If this installs; reopen Disk Utility and repair the Disk until it's repaired.Repair Permissions. Return to desktop and complete installing software.

Back