Well, well, well... 10.2 will rear it's head at WWDC

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
From the Apple Developer Connection
Dear Developer,

On May 6, WWDC 2002 attendees will be the first to explore the
powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X.
[emphasis added]

And that's just for starters. At WWDC, you'll receive valuable
access to Apple engineers and industry experts, all eager to help
you create the world's best Mac OS X products.

Don't forget, your e-ticket includes post-conference online access
to sessions, as well as a complete WWDC 2002 Sessions DVD set.

Be sure to act now! WWDC 2002 Early Registration discounts end April
14. This is your last chance to save US $300. After April 14, the
WWDC e-ticket price increases to US $1595.

For WWDC 2002 session details and to register today, visit:
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc2002/

Best Regards,

Apple Developer Connection

Make of this what you will, but at least now we know that 10.2 will at least make an appearance at WWDC. Depending on how you interpret the wording, though, you could construe it as being released at WWDC.

Enjoy! :D

Great!
wonder if it will be an dowloadable upgrade or a shipping fee cd. I mean will this be the case with every .1-2-3-4 upgrade? probably no one knows this but its fun to speculate:p

On May 6, WWDC 2002 attendees will be the first to explore the
powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X.

That means it won't be released finally in May but after maybe in Summer?

Turn on some common sense, please. :)

Mac OS X 10.2 will appear in July. It will cost 129$.

Just look at the past. The 10.2 to 10.0 is very much like 8.5 was to 8.0. Just because some people don't like the fact that some features of OS 9 were not in 10.0 doesn't make Apple give out any further updates for free or just the shipping price. The text says that developers (this is not a consumer show) will get a look at 'the next major release'. Major also means money, btw.

According to Apple, Mac OS X has just passed a day. So, Apple will charge for the second day?

Well, I don't think we need to pay for a full charge but at least a special discount for an upgrade version, right?

I still think OS X lack of some MUST HAVE features like advanced Energy Saver, smooth resizing window and so on that what Apple has promised, right?

So, I think Apple should have a free upgrade (again) or a half price upgrade discount for those who has owned Mac OS X but no full charge.

Whatever it's called (10.2 or 10.5), the next upgrade to Mac OS X will be a paid upgrade. From what I've seen, the feature set doesn't look like they can justify a full $99-129 price, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for more than the $19.95 shipping & handling that they got for 10.1.

From what I've read, we'll see the following...

1) Improved speed (how much is anybodys guess)
2) New Finder features (Spring Loaded Folders, Thumbnails, "Open With" context menus, various tweaks to Column view's Preview)
3) Enhanced "Accessbility" options for those with disabilities
4) Enhancements to Carbon applications, that allow them to antialias their text (makes IE look much much better).

This is all I've read about so far. There seems to be a lot missing that we are all clamoring for. Most notably:
1) USB Printer Sharing
2) Finder Labels (Snax can do it - why can't Apple?)
3) Improved browsing of network volumes - especially SMB shares.
4) Improved dock options - including the ability to turn it off and revert to a pure OS 9 like experience (hey - it could happen!)
5) Updated Java, with 1.4 support, and more importantly, fixing of several bugs that are preventing some major apps from being able to run under Mac OS X.

Now, if 10.2 has most of those 5 features added, then maybe they could get away with a full upgrade price (99-129), otherwise, it will be a major revolt.

2) Finder Labels (Snax can do it - why can't Apple?)
IMO, I am sure that Apple can do it. The question is "do they want to do it?"

I'm not arguing the case one way or another -- I just think it's a design decision, not a capability decision.

Originally posted by fryke
Turn on some common sense, please. :)

Mac OS X 10.2 will appear in July. It will cost 129$.

Just look at the past. The 10.2 to 10.0 is very much like 8.5 was to 8.0. Just because some people don't like the fact that some features of OS 9 were not in 10.0 doesn't make Apple give out any further updates for free or just the shipping price. The text says that developers (this is not a consumer show) will get a look at 'the next major release'. Major also means money, btw.

How do YOU know?

Mac OS X is a new operating system, and Apple could well be doing a different upgrade system with OS X.

There are still a lot of features in OS 9 that are missing in OS X, and I would be VERY surprised and angry if Apple charged $129 for it. I would be pissed off a bit, too, if Apple charged even half price.

We'll see. And remember, when OS X 10.1 came out, it was the 'first major release', and that didn't mean money (as long as you lived near an Apple store or qualified Apple reseller).

Let's not speculate any more on the price until we hear about it, OK? Thanks.

No more speculating? Okay. Just a short answer, then. I think Apple gave out 10.1 for free because they saw that 10.0 wasn't really as finished as they've wanted it to be. 10.2 will be a more 'normal' upgrade from what we already know. We'll of course know more when it's presented at WWDC, and even more when it's released. I just think to assume or even *demand* that it'll be another free upgrade is a bit too bold.

i have little problem with the idea of paying around $50 for the 10.2 upgrade if it has the right features and proves to be faster than 10.1.x by a good amount...

ill probably give the early adopters a couple weeks playing with it before i jump anyway.

Has apple ever made you pay for a .1 increase? I don't remember them charging for anything other than a .0 or .5 release. (except the OSX Beta:eek: )

The problem with that theory is that they could name "the next major release" anything they like, including 10.5--in which case we'll be shelling out the dough for it.

Again, it has to be said - what Apple can charge for OS X 10.2 (or 10.5 or whatever they call it) really depends on what it's feature set is.

Apple can't sell an upgrade based on bug fixes, optimizations and small tweaks for $99-129. It wouldn't sell. The OS X faithful would revolt, and Apple would have a PR fiasco on their hands.

Based on what we've seen of 10.2, it looks like this is the case. There are no major new features of 10.2 as it stands. While it's a major release for OS X, it's not a major new feature release, which is when/where Apple charges the full upgrade price.

That said, Apple will probably charge more than the $19.95 s/h fee that it did with 10.1. My guess is that 10.2 will be renamed 10.5, and go for $49-69.

Like I said, Mac OS X is a new operating system, and with it could come a new upgrade cycle/pricing system. We can only speculate based on the Classic Mac OS upgrades, but I don't think we can reliably say that Apple will charge this or that for this or that until we actually have at least Mac OS X 11.0 on our hands.

Maybe Apple WILL charge $49-$69 for OS X 10.2. Maybe it will rename it 10.5 and charge the full $129.

The only real piece of evidence we can go on is the fact that OS X 10.0 was $129 for the full version, whereas the Classic Mac OS was always $99 for every major (read every 0.5 increment) OS release, with small rebates if you got the OS immediately before the current one. I think that if Apple continues to charge $129 for the OS and has the same upgrade cycle, people will be a bit peeved because now their operating system costs $30 more. Based on this, I think Apple will probably slow their upgrade cycle a bit and do more xx.2 releases.

Even that is speculation, though, and we really don't know what Apple will do until they do it. So there's not really a use in speculating any further.

I think it'll be the same price structure as 10.1, Free + shipping online, or free at the store.

There's just too much missing from 10.1 to justify a fee to put in the stuff that should be in there.

Also, I'm pretty sure Apple knows how fast 10.1 got uploaded to every Hotline and Carracho server. The same will happen with 10.2, so I don't see why they'd bother.

I'm sure they'll use a different installer format to be sure that 10.2 doesn't get turned into a full installer CD, though :D

Who says apple wont charge for it. They could charge for it and everyone would buy it anyways. I know I would, I couldn't live without the newst OS update :D

Well, if I have to pay $60 for 10.2, I might not spend the money. However, it would probably accelerate my purchase of a new Mac (yum yum)--so Apple's going to be getting my money anyway. Curses on them! :p They've got EVERY angle covered.

Originally posted by fryke
I think Apple gave out 10.1 for free because they saw that 10.0 wasn't really as finished as they've wanted it to be. 10.2 will be a more 'normal' upgrade from what we already know.
I don't agree with this. OS 9.0 was fine and they released 9.1 and 9.2 for free.

I think I would have paid 50$ or so for the .1 release because that's when X became usable to me. If X.2 has the same speed increase then I would certainly pay 50$. I can't even comprehend what would make 99-129$ worth it because I am so happy with my system as it is.
Let's not speculate any more on the price until we hear about it, OK? Thanks.
Unfortunately, they took our rumors section so this is the one and only place to speculate.

Originally posted by wdw_

I don't agree with this. OS 9.0 was fine and they released 9.1 and 9.2 for free.

Well... fine except for the 9.0 "Mysterious total data loss issue." But of course that was fixed in 9.0.1 (if you were really quick) and 9.0.2 for the rest of the world, so it doesn't really negate your point, but saying 9.0 was fine is a little funny if you recall all those people whose drives were wiped clean...

L8r,
-alex.

Back