Whacked Auto-Uncompress from IE

Dre'qo

Registered
Probably 90% of the time when I download something with IE it opens the Old Classic version of Stuffit Expander as it's "helper application"; which means opening Classic. Quite Annoying. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Like I said, sometimes it actually opens the correct expander. I guess I could weed thru the 300,000 helper apps and try to reset it back to the correct expander but I'm wonding if even that would help. I could trash the old one, but... what if I'm in OS 9 and need to unstuff something?

Any solutions?

- Dre'Qo -

I can't copy and paste in IE... is this a known bug?
I can't download under OmniWeb... any ideas?

- Dre'Qo -

Before I start downloading files in IE, I start Stuffit Expander in OS X. For some reason, if its already open, it works. If its not running, it tries to launch the Classic version.

Maybe someday Microsoft will get it right!

Hahaha... M$ will <B>NEVER</B> get it right! Look at this lame excuse for competition, Windows XP!

Thanks, that sounds like a good "work around" solution... better than trying to snatch the download in the manager and clicking off the "Launch help app." I would still like it to just.. work.

Can carbon apps work under OS 9? With the carbon lib? or is it just choice programs? I'd toss the old expander if I could use the carbon expander in 9... and that should solve it. I might also try re-installing expander (instead of using the preloaded version... that might trigger it)

Bah... I might just toss it anywayz. Who needs 9!

- Dre'Qo -

To stop the classic version of stuffit (or any other app like simpletext) from starting up instead of the X-savvy versions, take the old apps off your hard drive. You can either delete them altogether or stuff them so you can get them later.

This way, when X looks for a version of stuffit, it will only find the one app you mean for it to find.

-Rob

I added stuffit expander to the list of apps being run at login time (in the system preferences, login panel)

just drag it into the panel (handy for any other apps you might always run everytime you use your computer)

I haven't yet spent the time to see if there is a way to fix IE's settings somewhere to just ignore non-MacOS X native versions of stuffit expander.

Originally posted by rharder
To stop the classic version of stuffit (or any other app like simpletext) from starting up instead of the X-savvy versions, take the old apps off your hard drive. You can either delete them altogether or stuff them so you can get them later.

This way, when X looks for a version of stuffit, it will only find the one app you mean for it to find.

-Rob

Wait a second... If I stuff it in 10, and then go to 9, how am I meant to unstuff it? You don't mean to say that I have to unstuff it before I reboot, do you??

My real beef with this behaviour is that IE doesn't seem to let me choose MacOSX-Specific (Carbon? Cocoa?) applications for its helpers. And, I can't even find where to do that in OmniWeb.

Ouch. Catch 22. Though I think the latest Stuffit Expander is Carbonized, so the same app should work in both 9 and X.

That doesn't fix IE's (apparent) inability to map files to helper apps, though.

-Rob

Has anyone tried using the Carbon Stuffit Expander in OS 9? If I could just kill that old classic app that should solve the problem.

- Dre'Qo -

The newest version of Stuffit works fine in OS 9. I used it before I got X final (I haven't been back to 9 but once to get my mail out of outlook and into Mail). You should have no problems using Stuffit under 9 & X.

Back