Whant to learn how to program applications

iMan

?¿?
Hi all.
I want to start learning how to program applications for Mac.
Where do I star, I don't know anything about programming so any tips on how to star, what to learn frist, good books and manuals to get would be helpfull, tips, web pages etc.
I also want to learn java.

Would be greatful for help and tips:)

Thanks

While there are literally hundreds of websites that promote learning how to program, I have always been partial to O'Reilly books. There is an online series of articles that are of the same quality, at http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/ct/37

This will teach you some about Object Oriented programming and building an application in OS X. It's using Objective C and Cocoa, not Java, but I still recommend it.

Also, I just bought a book called "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass. I'm a beginner Cocoa programmer and this book has been excellent for me. I suggest you picking it up from the library or local computer store!

Here is a little jump start:

- (void)buttonPressed:(id)sender
{
[myObject performMethodWith:Argument];
}

This is a method definition in Cocoa. You will see this alot. If you are going to program in Java, use Swing. Java + Mac OS X = Crap. If you want to make powerful applications easy and fast, use Cocoa. Cocoa is pretty straight forward. You program with objects. Here is another example when a button is pressed:

- (void)buttonPressed:(id)sender
{
[window close];
}

Oh yeah, when you see somthing like [window close]; you are calling a method. You can think of a method like this:

What do you want Bob to do?

[bob goRunAround:theBlock];

Sorry, i don't know if any of that made sense, I'm pretty messed up in the head.

Back