What 3 things do you want from Apple most? (iPod, software, other)

What 3 things do you want from Apple most? (iPod, software, other)

• iPod with wireless

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • iPod mini photo (iPod mini size, but with color screen and iPod photo functionality)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Video iPod

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Newton 2 (with or without thumb keyboard)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Apple digital camera (hard drive, ability to create text notes and sync to iPhoto, etc.)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • An iTunes (QuickTime ?) video store

• OS X 10.5 (significantly upgraded Safari, iCal, Address Book, iChat AV, etc., etc..)

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • iLife '06 (labelled bookmarks in iTunes for podcasts/audiobooks, more iMovie/iDVD integration, etc.)

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • iWork 2 (improved Pages and Keynote, with a Spreadsheet and maybe a 4th app)

• iLearn (a peer to peer application that allows you to search for, download and run learning objects)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceroc Addict

Registered
Choose 3 things from the above list. Feel free to post if there's something that's not on the list.

Kap

P.S. Wanted to post a combined hardware/iPod/software poll with all 19 options, but couldn't do it (10 option maximum on polls) - cest la vie. :D

It'd actually be a Newton 3, probably, since the last Newton MessagePad (the 2100 and the eMate 300) OS was already 2.x. But it doesn't seem like Apple thinks it's necessary to re-enter the (dying?) PDA market.

Java 1.5, and Java 1.6 when it is released. I don't want to have to wait for the next release of OS X before getting an updated version of Java. Keeping in line with the Java theme, perhaps they should implement the server VM as well. While it is called the server VM, it has beneficial uses for the client too, since the server VM optimizes code much more aggressively than the client VM.

More integrated X11 applications. Allow interoperability with native OS X applications, so that cut and past works. Perhaps letter the X11 terminal have scroll bars? That would be very helpful.

Have a Terminal.app that does colours. I mean, directories, executables, .app bundles, plain files, etc all should be represented using a different colour. That would make working in the Terminal much much more convenient.

Aside from that, I like everything on my Mac right now.

fryke said:
But it doesn't seem like Apple thinks it's necessary to re-enter the (dying?) PDA market.
It's an interesting question to reflect on - is the PDA market dying because of smartphones, or is it more that no PDA created to date has sufficiently delivered the goods?

I know that the latter is true for me at any rate - if there was a PDA that just did what I wanted it to do (mostly really simple things) I would buy it, but there never has been (I've bought and sold/given away a few PDAs in the search for one that I'd want to keep).

The only one that might come close is the Sharp SL-C3000, except it'd probably be too big and heavy (and it's probably not coming to Australia anyway).

Kap

An iPod mini with colour screen would be nice of course, first and foremost as functional/pretty interface and only secondarily for the photo's as far as I'm concerned.

An Apple pda would be interesting. I don't see it happen anytime soon, but there have been so many speculations and a plethora of mockups that I'm quite curious as to how Apple would really do it.

antivirus software direct from Apple??? not the one bundled with .Mac, Norton, or Sophos.

Call it iVirus...or iAntivirus or something along those lines?

No! I don't want Apple to be doubly accountable if some hack somewhere finally decides it's worthwhile to make a Mac virus.

I really want a Newton 2. Infact i will beg. How would you like me to beg?..... Apple? Im begging. LOL..

I would like Apple to arrange with whoever (most often MS) a software swap program in which I could turn in MS-windows based software and receive a MAC OS-X compatible version at NO price.

This understandibly would depend on 1: having a valid software license, 2: there being a MAC OS-X equivalent.

So... More than 50 percent want a new Newton, eh? Maybe we should write a letter to Steve. Although I doubt it'd change his mind. I also doubt they'd revive the Newton moniker. They'd probably find a name that either associates the device with the Mac or the iPod.

If I think about what the Newton _did_, I think today it would rather be an "iTablet" or "iPad" than a PDA. As for a PDA, it was rather too big, whereas for a Pad as in Star Trek or Microsoft Tablet PC it was rather too small.

One can dream, can't we. Imagine a really slick tablet, about 9" diagonal, with, say 1024*768 resolution. Thickness: Not more than an iPod. It can use a similar harddrive. No interface but the screen and a stylus. With WiFi, it could be connected to your desktop or notebook Mac and you could remote control everything Apple with it. Your AirTunes or iPod WiFi but also your computer. Take it to the bedroom to watch a couple of movies streamed from the Mac. E-Mail etc. And if you take it with you away from your Mac, it'll be rather PDA like (and synch automagically once you're near your Mac again) and use WiFi or GPRS mobile phones over Bluetooth to get to the 'net. I'm talking too much.

fryke said:
So... More than 50 percent want a new Newton, eh? Maybe we should write a letter to Steve. Although I doubt it'd change his mind. I also doubt they'd revive the Newton moniker. They'd probably find a name that either associates the device with the Mac or the iPod.

If I think about what the Newton _did_, I think today it would rather be an "iTablet" or "iPad" than a PDA. As for a PDA, it was rather too big, whereas for a Pad as in Star Trek or Microsoft Tablet PC it was rather too small.

One can dream, can't we. Imagine a really slick tablet, about 9" diagonal, with, say 1024*768 resolution. Thickness: Not more than an iPod. It can use a similar harddrive. No interface but the screen and a stylus. With WiFi, it could be connected to your desktop or notebook Mac and you could remote control everything Apple with it. Your AirTunes or iPod WiFi but also your computer. Take it to the bedroom to watch a couple of movies streamed from the Mac. E-Mail etc. And if you take it with you away from your Mac, it'll be rather PDA like (and synch automagically once you're near your Mac again) and use WiFi or GPRS mobile phones over Bluetooth to get to the 'net. I'm talking too much.

There surley has to be a demand for this. I swear ill make my own if apple doesn't. That new Mac mini could be a good start.

1) Pull the cover and enclosure off.
2) Pip out the cd drive and its close to 1 inch thick.
3) find a new enclosure or create your own (i found one at a really nice size)
4) find a nice screen and make it touch screen.
5) Develop a good screen resolution for the eyes.
6) Develop a really good newton style widget.
7) Develop some basic applications to co-work with your newton widget.

And you have an updated newton. The only thing is the above would be very expensive.

Some other items that I would like, that weren't on the list:

1. PowerBook G5
2. Apple 3G Mobile Phone (You know you want one)

Think that's about it...

There's another thread for hardware (PB G5) that looks very similar.

the "iPhone" (or Apple G3 phone)... would be near to an Apple PDA/smartphone, I hope. But that market works very differently to Apple.

Back