What about Serial Port identification

BeigeG3Master

Registered
Will OS X See serial ports or does it just see FireWire and USB? Also the ADB ports and the internal motherboard SCSI, will it see them and will i be able to use them. i Have a Beige G3

I did manage to get DP4 running on a 604e/200 upgraded 8500 so ADB (keyboard/mouse support) and internal SCSI should be good to go. Not sure about serial as that driver seemed to be broken since the Rhapsody DR's. Maybe someone who is working on Darwin has something working (haven't kept up with Darwin though).

I guess once I get the beta, will see if that installs on that system and what works.

Originally posted by Trueman_Akamai
I did manage to get DP4 running on a 604e/200 upgraded 8500 so ADB (keyboard/mouse support) and internal SCSI should be good to go. Not sure about serial as that driver seemed to be broken since the Rhapsody DR's. Maybe someone who is working on Darwin has something working (haven't kept up with Darwin though).

I guess once I get the beta, will see if that installs on that system and what works.

Trueman_Akamai,

I have a power tower pro 250 (604e), let me know if you get the beta to work on your 8500 and how, so I can try it on the ptp250.

Thanks
Greg

I have a b/w G3 with a serial port installed where the buitlt-in modem normally goes and I am wondering if I will be able to access it from PB.

Anyone ???

Apple in their LateBreakingNews.html file that comes after [sic] you install the OS X tells you that Serial Support is still broken.

I'm writting this reply at my Beige G3 with OS X installed, connected to net via my external [serial] USRobotics Sportster. You see it works!!!

Some tips:
Don't enter anything at system preferences - network - tcp/ip [there should be something marked like "no connection"]. Simply open up PPP Connect, enter your user data [Login, PW, PhoneNumber, DNS. Don't forget the DNS field, or you won't be able to browse the net]. Finally select "Hayes Compatible" Modem at the Application Menu/Preferences Dialog of PPP Connect. Don't care about the "internal" popup menu. Voila...

Some other experience with the serial support:
Modem support seems to be very slugish, you mostly have to try several times until the modem responds. Hopefully Apple will fix this issue soon. And yes there ar e modem scripts, that can be edited from OS9 or the Terminal [they reside within a hidden folder].

Kabuki

I have a Stealth card replacing my internal modem in my G4/500/DP running X 10.0.1
It works ok. I have even used my external US-Robotics modem.

Seems stupid to remove the internal modem just to use a serial modem , I know, but I needed the serial port for other things (midi)

Back