chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
Please list your comments here:
what does work ?
what does not work ?
what crashes ?

Fetch 4.0.3 acts weirdly. Some keyboard shortcuts and mouse actions just don't do the expected thing. Weird.

No kernel panics so far, general stability feels very good. Adobe CS seems to work fine, although Photoshop doesn't know about its windows, i.e. 'close window' etc. are greyed out, even if a file is open. Hm. ;)

I hear Macromedia apps have trouble. Can anyone confirm/deny?

What do you mean by "Some keyboard shortcuts and mouse actions just don't do the expected thing" ?

Like... My Fetch Bookmarks simply _don't_ work. I can connect to a server by hand, but Apple-D for switching to a different directory tries to get a file. And other similarly strange things. Basically, you just can't use Fetch right now in Tiger AFAIK. Guess that'll either mean we'll see a Fetch 4.0.4 (or 5?) in a couple of months or Tiger will fix some things and Fetch will work again...

Mail in 294 does not remember the unread count in subfolders. I find that it shows up when initially downloading the emails but once you view the folder and switch to another the unread number disappears.

My Tiger install blew up on me already. Internet stopped working, but network TCP/IP stuff would still work. Restarted router and DSL modem, and it still didn't work, and Internet worked from other computers.

So I rebooted, and the Finder kept relaunching before loading anything and the startup items kept unexpectedly quitting.

Rebooted a few more times, tried repairing the disk, it can't be repaired with DiskUtility.

Finder now would launch but Internet stuff still doesn't work.

Messed up :D :confused:

It looks like my Logitech doesn't recognize the right keys, right-alt operates like command, command (left or right) operates like alt...

Can you's tell me whether it will be worthwhile to upgrade to tiger when it comes out from panther ?? What is better in tiger than panther - what is the 64bit processing about like will it run faster on my emac or will it run slower ?? they say it will run faster but hmm yeah. Also whats the dashboard like ?? Is it really good thats one of 2 things i like so far about tiger the menubar's look and the dashboard basically.

I don't know much about dashboard or the new menubar, but I know 64 bits isn't going to do anything for the eMac and basically any Mac that doesn't have a G5 processor. How much speed the move to 64 bits gives the G5 is also going to be interesting. I personally think it won't due to various reasons, but I'm still interested to know how it performs.

But, I think providing benchmark numbers is going to breach the NDA you agreed to when installing Tiger, so I'll just wait patiently till it gets released :).

Like Viro said: The 64bit'ness of Tiger won't do a non-G5 Mac any good. It won't do any harm, either, because it'll be optimised for both 32bit and 64bit Macs.

Dashboard is 'good' alright, but it'll certainly depend on how you're going to use it. If you'll have like 5 widgets open on the Dashboard, that's going to be quite informative. I fear that users, however, will clutter their Dashboard and thus make its main benefit (information at a glance) vanish...

There's certainly going to be a lot of Dashboard widgets available when Tiger will be available. The important thing will be to choose what you really want to have readily available as information on your Dashboard. Do I need my weather forecast there? Maybe. Do I want a Gmail notifier now that I can also use POP3 for that account? Probably not. ;)

What I _can_ say is that the technology with how the widgets drop in and fade out is simply put gorgeous. It's certainly going to be a great way to show off Mac OS X' technologies in front of those PC using friends.

So: Will Tiger be worth it for your eMac G4? - I'd say yes. But while I _do_ expect some performance increases, I guess it's mainly going to be the added functionality that will drive people to Tiger. Sure, you can get Konfabulator to do mainly what Dashboard does, and you might find other replacements for other new features in Tiger. But the package will make it very, very good. And Spotlight is going to change the way how you work with a computer.

That being said: You chose the wrong thread for your question, and I'd like to urge you to use the 'changes' thread for such questions and not the one about stability in the future. ;)

Sorry about that Fryke, but just to finish off with my last question what type of upgrades would i do to make tiger run good on my emac??

Also if tiger might run slow on older macs why dont apple make a 32bit version aswell as a 64bit.

Tiger won't run slow on older Macs, basically. And there _is_ a 32bit version. You're going to get FAT binaries that run both optimised on 64bit and 32bit hardware. No problem there. You probably don't have to prepare for Tiger, as it'll just be a bit faster than Panther on your machine (which isn't considered 'older', btw.). While you can't expect features that are truly written for 64bit processors and/or higher end graphics cards to work as beautifully as on the latest and greatest G5, you can expect Tiger to still rock on your current hardware compared to Panther on your current hardware. Your RAM size is certainly enough, too. :)

ah ok thats awesome news fryke thanks for that.... hmm i think that just restored my faith to get tiger !!! :)

Captain Code said:
It is already both.

(This post is really just a continuation of Captain Code's, for those who are interested more in the "Why" behind his answer) ;)

In a sense... the key thing that makes Tiger 64-bit is that more of the internals that should be using 64-bit, are using 64-bit. That and they are providing the APIs for 64-bit applications to use 64-bit pointers and the like to talk to the OS for proper functionality where a RAM space might exceed 2GB.

In PPC design specs, a 32-bit program should exist fine within a 64-bit space. When you 'load' a 32-bit number into a register on a 64-bit processor, the high 32 bits are set to zero and cleared. 64-bit math is not any faster than 32-bit math on the same processor, and operations that say "multiply 2 16-bit numbers" really do it in the native size of the processor (64 in this case), and shorten the answer to fit 16 bits by clearing the top 48 bits.

The real catch in creating a 64-bit app is that the 64-bit instructions don't exist on 32-bit machines, so you have to write code that checks for the existance of the 64-bit instructions and turns them on/off in your code. It isn't too difficult... programmers already do it for quite a bit of Altivec code. It just takes a little effort to do so. I would not really see Tiger needing two different compiles for G5 and not-G5 systems because of this. Did we need a G4 and not-G4 compile of OS X? No. Same thing applies here, nothing fundamental has changed in the processor.

Krevinek said:
Did we need a G4 and not-G4 compile of OS X? No. Same thing applies here, nothing fundamental has changed in the processor.

A fundamental change is the size of pointers. The word size is no longer 4 bytes (32 bits) but 8 bytes (64 bits). This alone has the potential to break tonnes of C apps that are out there.

To my knowledge, you can't mix 32 bit and 64 bit libraries/kernel extensions. I'm not familiar enough with PPC64 to be authoritative on this, but with the AMD64 architecture, you could run existing 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS, but you needed the supporting 32 bit libraries to be present. This ended up causing Linux systems to be in a real mess having to maintain two separate sets of libraries.

Let's hope the same doesn't happen with Tiger.

Back