What activities wake a screen?

ericmurphy

Registered
I have this situation on a couple of my Macs, one a PowerMac G5 (DP 2.0 GHz, 5 Gig RAM, 250 Meg/500 Meg HD), the other a Mac Mini (Core Duo 1.6, 1 Gig RAM, 60 Gig HD), the PowerMac running Leopard and the Mini running snow leopard.

Both machines are set to sleep the display after about ten minutes (neither computer sleeps). At odd intervals, the displays on one or the other will wake. The screen will eventually go back to sleep, only to wake again at some later time.

On the PowerMac, but not the Mini, occasionally I can't even force the screen to sleep. I'll sleep it (using a hot corner), and it will wait a second or two and wake right back up again.

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of different activities that OS X interprets as meaning the computer is in use, and hence wakes the screen. I know it's not just regular network activity, because both machines have file and web sharing turned on, and activity on the network won't wake them. Both machines have trackballs, so I don't think it's inadvertent mouse motion (a possibility when you live in San Francisco).

Back