what am i doing wrong?

unispherephoto

Registered
i'm attempting to burn a dvd of a subtitled .avi. the movie plays fine in VLC, but the subtitles do not appear in quicktime. i burned a dvd with toast 7, but the subtitles are not available. is there a fix?
similarly, i tried to burn a dvd of an .avi that had a separate .sub file, and that didnt work either...

I think the problem is that the subs are not hard-coded into the video. I assume your AVI has some separate files with it, like .idx or .sub or something, right? Those are the files that contain the subs. VLC automatically spots them and applies them over the video as it plays, but QuickTime has no support for external subtitle files (boooo!).

You should be able to convert the AVI, subtitles and all, to burnable DVD folder using ffmpegX. In the Filters tab of ffmpegX you have the option to load a sub file. I've never done this myself, so I don't know if it will hard-code the subs onto the video or include an optional subtitle track like you'd see on a commercial DVD.

thanks. ill try it out. on a related note, i just burned a dvd of a file titled xxxx.AC3[Eng]-aXXo.avi
it plays fine in vlc, but quicktime says its missing components, and the dvd i burned has no audio...will ffmpegx fix this as well?

Yes, ffmpegX should be able to handle that, since it doesn't use QuickTime for any of its decoding (unless you specifically tell it to, anyway). ffmpegX can read just about any file that VLC can, since the two programs are based on many of the same open-source components.

You can probably get that file working in QuickTime, too, by installing the AC3 Codec.

Back