What Apple has to do Now.

senne

Registered
Apple has to use the SoBig-virus to promote their products! Make posters with quotes like: "SoBig can't hurt a Mac", "Buy a Mac and forget about SoBig", "...."

Many people don't know that SoBig is for PC's only, so if Apple makes clear that their system is resistant against the virus, wouldn't it attract many people?

Or maybe they can not only focus on the SoBig virus, but also on other hard facts. Like "Viruses on Mac = 0, Viruses on Windows = 10000" (i don't know the real facts :)). "The word "Virus" doesn't exist in Mac OS X's dictionary."

I really think Apple should do this! Now that big coorporations are switching to Mac/Linux because of the virus, they can even use this kind of quotes: "Look at Amazon, Cnet, AOL, ... They have all switched to Mac OS X to feel secure." (again i don't know exactly which coorporations have switched).

What do you think?

True to what you have said, but there's always a downside to things. Sure, this would definately be a huge selling point, and while the Mac doesn't have 0 viruses, it doesn't have many at all. However, think of this: if Apple started to advertise how 'immune' they are to the rest of the computing world, don't you think this would attract a couple hackers out there and entice them to make a few more viruses? I think Apple are trying to keep in the shadows here to avoid as much as possible.

Plus it seems kinda low-class to hit a campaign based on people being inconvienced by a virus (even if it is because they use peecees).
Now if they did a little pr and swung some columns over from other people saying Macs are better at virus headaches and easy/better to use, etc, then something good would come out of it.
I'd hate to see Apple do something tacky like buy.com's lame efforts. Sometimes it's harder, but better to take the high road.

About that "doesn't have 0 viruses": There is no (absolutely zero) known virus written for Mac OS X. There are a few MS Word scripting viruses, there are a few (and old) Classic viruses, but none for Mac OS X. Not that no-one could ever write one (and advertising the anti-virus thing could even be a jumpboard for some people to do so), but right now: OS X is virus-free.

Apple should _include_ this into an ad about:

- Security?
- Installation troubles?
- Plug and Play?
- Virii?

Our customers don't have to know about those things. They buy a Mac.

Something along these lines...

I think Apple needs another 1984 commercial. An advertisement that will impact the MS user base and cripple pc sales because of it. =<)

I posted a thread over at a forum that hates Macs and got totally slammed. My subject line was like "Sick of viruses? Get a Mac." Well, 95% of the folks over there were like, "You dumb Maccer, WE update our virus protection." I tried to steer the conversation in a way that highlighted actual Windows' security vs. Mac OS X, but nobody took the bait. Instead I got handed a warning by a moderator to stop my diatribe. So, nobody became convinced, nobody cared, all spat upon the Macintosh way. What did I do wrong??? :(

MDLarson:

People don't like to be shown off, that's what's wrong. Don't worry, it's not you. Look what happens when the table turns, there have been a few legitament examples from independent groups (like the infamous Digital Video -something- online mag) that show PCs with P4 or dual Athlons beating dual G4 Powermacs. After all the "MHz myth" and "Macs are faster than PCs" talk of course Mac users aren't going to be happy when they're shown off in that way.

So same situation, but we're talking security/viri and not performance. You win some, you lose some. Mac users don't like to be told their hardware is slower, Windows users don't like to be told their OS sucks. But both sides know that it's all true.

Lycander:
Yes, we all know that the truth is that Wintel/Amd stuff DO blow! :p

:D

And Mac hardware IS faster than Wintels/Amds :p

Back