What apple laptop should I buy?

solrac

Mac Ninja
As you may know my powerbook got stolen recently, and I got paid by my insurance company.

I now have $2600 to spend on a laptop at the end of January. (That price includes tax of course... so the base price I can spend is $2400). Also I will get AppleCare at the end of the year not right away.

So basically now there is the new 17 inch wonder. Well I don't want that. It's so cool, but... it's still a 1 Ghz G4. The REAL AWESOME update will be the first PPC 970 laptop. Until then, I'll get a less expensive laptop.

I don't want the new super small one either, because I need my adequate screen space. The 15 inch screen was great. But, the new small one has a better graphics card and the integrated bluetooth and airport extreme, while the bigger 15 inch one doesn't have any of that new stuff??

I want a 15 inch with at least

- 867 mhz G4 (1 Ghz HOPEFULLY, maybe through eBay)

- Bluetooth

- Airport Extreme ready (can get the card later)

- Firewire 400 is cool for now, can get an adapter later

- graphics card that uses quartz extreme (the best I could get)

Or the closest possible to that. Which should I get? I wish I could get the new ambient light keyboard, but I probably won't be able to get one with that on it...

Hmm... you might buy something today that is out of date tomorrow... maybe you should invest it in a CD or mutual fund until Apple stops making computers and you can buy the last one.

Just my thoughts. :)

It's a bit weird that they wouldn't update the middle powerbook. It doesn't sound like you want any of the powerbooks that are being offered(no offense). The 15 inch model is great and will support quartz extreem.

I just got my son a TiBook 667 with 867 megs ram, it was an end of the "line" machine, and I got it for a great price, I have the same, and paid almost $2000 (CDN) more when it just came out. Mind you I use mine everyday, and have no regrets. The big deal was that I traided in his 2 year old iBook 500 and got $1300 (cdn) towards the already lower priced TiBook667. My son also uses his everyday at design school.

What I am saying, is the same as everyone else when it comes to technology, "will you use it?" then get what you'll use.

Want my advise on digital cameras... (Canon has this one....)

Back