What Apple laptop To get??

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Hello,
I am thinking of getting a apple laptop for educational purposes such as Graphic Design in art and maybe product design in 3D for D&T.
Well What Laptop (iBook? PowerBook? MacBookPro?)shall I purchase I am used to a 1.8GHZ iMac 1.
What Laptop Battery lasts the longest, What Laptop is the most Powerful, and what Laptop is lightest

Thank You,
CJ MAC OSX IPOD
Charlie

you're in school... you already have an iMac... you really don't need a laptop. a laptop won't help you pass your exams... revision will, and talent.

get daddy to spend the money on something more worthwhile.

You angry, Lt.? ;)

If the laptop will merely be an extension to your 1.8 GHz G3 iMac (you said iMac 1, so I assume you mean the original, bondi-blue iMac –*although that was 233 MHz, not 1800...), then an iBook will be just fine. You can do your main work on the iMac and do a bit of work on the iBook. If, however, you plan on _replacing_ your iMac, I suggest getting the best Apple notebook your money can buy. And that'd be the MacBook Pro right now.

Lt Major Burns said:
you're in school... you already have an iMac... you really don't need a laptop. a laptop won't help you pass your exams... revision will, and talent.

get daddy to spend the money on something more worthwhile.
Ok,
Thanks but that dosen't help me

i just picked up my 15" powerbook this weekend for $1399 brand new. i thought about getting a macbook pro, but I couldn't pass up the price. i bought this to replace my dual 800 g4 and 1.2ghz ibook (wife and I are making room for a baby). i'll use this for video editing at home and the random paperwork at work. yes, it's not the fastest machine, but fcp, after effects, and dvd studio pro shouldn't tax this system too much.

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
What Laptop Battery lasts the longest, What Laptop is the most Powerful, and what Laptop is lightest.

In the order you asked, according to current models: iBook 14", PowerBook 15" or 17" (this'll change to the MacBook when the major apps are Universal and not emulated), PowerBook 12".

Apple is no longer selling the 15" PowerBook, which is what I have. I usually get 4.5 to 5 hours of light use on my battery (energy settings optimized for battery, screen brightness set as low as possible, bluetooth off, as little programs and widgets open as possible; mainly doing word processing/note taking and internet surfing). On Mon & Wed I have to have a minimum of 7 hours of portable time available to me, so I have two batteries (the PB can be swapped without turning it off). Most people are claiming 3 to 4 hours usage on their similar PBs, but its hard to say since usage and settings vary. Don't expect it to last more than 2 hours if you're going to do heavy processor intensive work, like video and photo editing, on the battery.

I'd suggest waiting a bit, as there's supposedly some kind of announcement tomorrow at the event. They're saying it's iPod related, but you never know. The iBook replacement is overdue and could be snuck in there, or within the week or two after (most places are saying March sometime). If you can wait a month or two, do so. Otherwise a refurb 15" HD model PowerBook, or a MacBook Pro, would probably be the best bet for the money; at least based on what you're wanting to do. Just make sure you buy that extra battery.

Ok But that is not the answer I am looking for,if you disagree with me getting a laptop good for you just stop telling me
Lt Major Burns said:
sorry, stressed that my computer doesn't make me any better, or more talented.

or anyone, for that matter.

Back