What apps are ready

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
What applications are ready for the Intel-Based macs? I know of a few, and on project osx86 they mention that all the apps bundled with OS X Tiger are now universal binaries

the ones that i know of:
coconut battery
Photobooth

Wow, thats a lot of programs out so far, still waiting on the big ones though, from Asypr, Adobe & Quark (all the programs i use)

Knowing Quark, they won't update to x86 till 2007 and Adobe who knows, i just hope they offer a free update so it runs without emulation

Adobe have already pledged that they'll be on board "from the beginning", which I take to mean that they'll have at least a set of patches out when the first Intel Macs are released.

Aspyr have a whole page on their site about their order of priorities for the transition. They'll be starting with the Sims and Sims2 (apparently they've already got these titles done) and then working their way through their more popular recent titles first.

As for Quark, well, I haven't heard anything.

I imagine most indie developers will get their apps out first. The only problem with Universal Binaries is there is no easy way to have support for 10.2.X users, so 99% of the apps will be requiring 10.3.9 or greater. There is a way to have the universal binary support for 10.2.X, but you have to build a separate version and use another tool to combine it...

symphonix said:
As for Quark, well, I haven't heard anything.

Quark took how long for the tranistion to OS X?? From 2001 to 2003 to finally come to OS X, so say 2007 or 2008 Quark will be for the Intel Mac, and then will be purchased by Adobe

http://www.luxology.com/press/release/061005_Lux_MacIntel.aspx

Twenty minute port. Good thing they're using XCode.

Quark. Who cares? Quark is dead to me.

Adobe will probably saunter in around mid 2007. Adobe's CEO followed up on the Intel announcement by saying that the transition will be longer and more trouble (for Adobe) than Steve implies. They must not be using Xcode.

While I'd certainly like Adobe to be 100% ready when I buy a Mactel, it's not that big a deal if they're not. The Adobe apps run great on my DP 27. G5. From what I gather, Rosetta and the Mactel hardware come 2007 should run every bit as well even if it's not ported. If that's true, I won't complain for a while.

I'm assuming ALL of Apple's apps are 100% ready to go. I don't want to be at the Apple store 18 months from now, ready to drop $4,000 on a fully loaded Quad Xeon whatever only to find out Final Cut is running thru Rosetta. Certainly that's not the case. Yes?

If _Apple_ weren't ready, _that'd_ look bad. So I guess they won't look bad, and will be ready. I'm glad my Finder already shows me that BBEdit is "intel, powerpc" ...

Attachments

• bbe_univ.gif
    bbe_univ.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 19
mindbend said:
Quark. Who cares? Quark is dead to me.

Me too. I don't know one graphic designer using it anymore. I used it like three times and hated it.

As for Apple's apps being ready, i would expect that they are.

I know plenty of graphic designers still using Quark Xpress on OS9.

I've been made the switch to InDesign - they deemed it foolish, now they're asking questions - but plenty shops are still on QuarkXpress, unfortunately.

Well, then they'll stay with G4s and G5s until XPress is ready. Just like they stayed with OS 9 until XPress was ready. Apple probably already calculates them as "late-buyers" or something.

Back