What bitrate do you guys rip at?

nirelandman

Registered
Hey all,

Just wanted to get a ballpark figure on what bitrate most of you have iTunes set to rip your CD's at?

I go for 320Kbps :D

Thanks,
nirelandman

I did use 320, but i started using apple lossless after i got a newer version iPod.

Lossless creates bigger size files, but gives better sound quality.....or so it is said.

Apple lossless for classicals and other good music (Pink Floyd, Queen, ...).

128k-192k AAC or MP3 for low dynamic old CDs where one cannot hear the difference (Abba, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Beatles, ...).

Last edited:
I go with 192 Kbps AAC. Good enough for me, really. I have quite a decent home stereo, I don't listen to much classical music, but Queen, Pink Floyd etc. really do sound more than good enough at 192 imho.

That said: If Apple ever changes the basic bitrate for iTunes Store songs to something higher, I'll probably adapt and rip newer CDs at that rate.

It depends on the speakers or headphones people are using. I have decently large Technics floor speakers, so I tend to rip at 320kbps; a high bitrate like that combined with SRS iWow (great app, btw) gives me really defined and clear sound so I can hear most of the details in a song without having to turn up too loud.

SRS iWow (great app, btw)

Is that the iTunes Plug-in? I used it for a while and initially was floored with the improvement over the sound that usually came out of my iMacs speakers but then discovered that some tracks sounded much worse ... I can't recall if you can configure it for different songs or whether or not one mix fits all .... I've still got the .dmg but removed the plug-in ...

I can hear a significant difference between 128 and 160. And have myself convinced that I "may" hear a difference between 160 and 192. So I go a step higher to 224 variable. And MP3 for compatibility.

I have so many esoteric tracks that I can't say with intellectual honesty that I use a specific bit rate.

However, when I buy a physical CD, I'll rip it at 320kb/s VBR. I also tend towards internet radio stations with the highest bit rates, if not simply because it signifies a higher quality music selection.

Back