• IE

• Netscape

• iCab

• OMNI

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

tk4two1

Professional Crastinator
I currently use IE and I like it (i know...) but what other browser would give me the same or better experience? I want to start testing out new browsers on my machine because I know that IE eats resources like a fat kid in a candy store.:D

I think you will have to carry on using IE as it seems to do some things other won't. (ie some of the online banking services)
However you could also try netscape 6.2 which is just as good for most things (again not all banking services!)
But if you have not yet tried it go for Opera which is excellent and seems to be quicker than the other 2 for general surfing. Once you learn how to use it, it can be very quick if you do away with all the graphics which of course you can do in Opera at the click of a button!

It is completely a matter of personal preference. Do a search on this forum for the word browser and you get hundreds of threads on this subject.

Mozilla is good because it's fast and for the most part, a standard browser.

IE is good because ... I dunno why it's just THE standard browser.

Omniweb is fine because it looks like OSX but I've heard it's a bit slow.

Chimera is decent because it's really fast, looks great but is still a work in progress.

iCab from what Ed says is good too.

Just go on a downloading spree and use them until you find one you like. No matter what anyone says here, whatever browser you end up using will be because you liked it best.

I love OmniWeb cause of its looks and feels. As for IE being THE standard, this is true, but iCab can handle surprisingly many IE-"only" features.
Chimera/Navigator is fast, I love to fire it up from time to time and just watch pages load in 2 seconds.

It depends on what you need in a browser. I use Mozilla because of tabbed browsing and that it can block pop-up and pop-under adds (you know, those 5 or 6 windows you discover lurking underneath the main window flashing fancy graphics and reloading images - hogging up bandwidth on a slow 56K connnection). I can also block web pages not only from setting cookies, but also from reading them too. I also have Mozilla set such that a website cannot open another window on my screen unless I request it. I really hate advertisements. I think Mozilla offers more features than other browsers and may help prevent security issues, especially considering IE from M$.

without going on a political rant about what NOT to use ( :D ), i would agree that you do as suggested and download them all and try them for yourself. Remember this is osx and you can use more than one of themat once if you want to.

right now i have icab and omniweb up and running. each seems to work better on certain sites than others that i regularly visit. some sites it makes no difference at all. but i could easily pull up exploiter and/or netrape at the same time and do my banking, travel arrangements,etc on those backasswards sites that insist i use a certain browser. then close it when i'm done and move on.

There is absolutly NO REASON TO USE A SINGLE BROSWER. It is not a relationship with a member of the opposite sex and you are not committed to it. You don't have to say any vows or wear a tux and walk down the isle. and as new versions of each become available, your preferred browser(s) may very well change. With nightly builds of some, this change can happen quickly and often.

of course i can't end without a plug for hoping that you will do a search for 'browser' and read all the interesting things that have been said in the past. There is enough info on this site to publish a good sized book. and who knows, maybe you'll learn why not to use some browsers.;)

I like the post 1.0 build of Mozilla, it's stable, has the W3C conformity of Mozilla 1.0, but also supports anti-aliased text. My only complaint is that it's slower than Mozilla 1.0.

I do also use Chimera, cuz I like its interface, but it really is alpha software right now.

I have IE floating around for those annoying IE specific sites.

I use Chimera for everything except:
-Posting attachments here (browse local to upload doesn't work)
-Downlaoding files (because sometimes it downloads files and prints the ASCII contents on my screen :p
-Online banking
-Anything with plugins

But then again it is version 0.3 so it's coming along rather nicely in my opinion.

IE 5.1 is my default browser, and it's quite nice.

I use Mozilla (1.0) almost exclusively, mostly because of the tabbed browsing but also because it's about as standards-compliant as you can get (IE is tops for adhering to standards, though). The Omniweb interface looks nice but it doesn't support hardly any CSS and it's DOM support is practically nonexistent.

i use IE because it just works with everything... i dont feel a need to be a browser hippie... "Yo, Man, don't use IE, because it made by Microsloth..."

Whatever, i like my browser to work with everysite i go to... that means aunthentication, browser plug-in detection and the whole ball of wax.

Just as Gwailo, I use <b>Chimera</b> to browse the Web, to read the news, to load the whole Web quickly ;).

When I've got to upload or download anything, though, or when I'm playing around with Flash, I use <b>IE5</b> because it's just a fine, powerful and slow browser :).

I have tried <b>Opera</b>: it's fast too, though it displays pages little bit by little bit — I prefer Chimera to load the whole page and then show it.

<b>iCab</b> behaves like Opera. I haven't tried <b>Mozilla</b> yet, I hated Netscape 6 so much.

As you realize browsers must align either speed or plenty functions to be used. Looking for a compromise of the two instead of using two browsers is not the good way I think :).

Thanks guys! After downloading a whole bunch of browsers I have decided to keep IE. I like the fact that it opens almost instantly and it is almost instant that the pages show up. I have never had any performance problems with it.

Here are some downsides to browsers

iCab: It makes its own icons for downloading and downloaded files. These icons don't only apply to the files iCab downloaded, but to ALL downloaded files since iCab launched first

OmniWeb: Displays many pages incorrectly

Opera: No favorites right under the URL-field. Those are and should be standards, Opera is the only browser that don't use them

Mozilla: Big bold and ugly, less you wanna theme it thou...

Netscape: Like a Mozilla wannabe, it's half of what Mozilla was 2 months ago

Internet Explorer: Size of new window adjust to fit size of current window...that's just stupid. Also, my experience is that it's THE slowest browser out there

Chimera: Unstable and unreliable, still missing much that Mozilla has like background-loading tabs

I just went from IE to Mozilla and don't think I will move back again. I think there's only two choices, if you want a complete browser, in the sense that you don't want to be bothered with sites that don't work on it: IE and Mozilla. Mozilla is fast (interface is a bit sluggish though), feature-rich (you'll love tabbed browsing) and it's becoming more and more a standard, so you won't find too many sites that don't work on it. Other browsers like iCab, Omniweb may offer promise, but don't work 100% yet. Chimera is a big promise (Mozilla-clone), but needs a lot of further development. Also Mozilla has a nice newsreader. As for banking. It works for me in Mozilla, and it doesn't in IE.
Oh, and if you want it to look more like aqua: http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html
And if you want the text to be nice and smooth, like Quartz: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15012&db=mac

Originally posted by tk4two1
Thanks guys! After downloading a whole bunch of browsers I have decided to keep IE. I like the fact that it opens almost instantly and it is almost instant that the pages show up. I have never had any performance problems with it.

*ed cries*

oh, the pains of being a "browser hippie":(

I can only begin to imagine how you must feel Ed, Mozilla-bragging, iCab-bashing and IE-loving in the same thread...

Back