What can I do with sendmail?

MasonMcD

Registered
How do I install it and get it up and running? I've gone to http://www.sendmail.org, but it doesn't cover the basics, like how to turn it on, just compiling and configuring.

What can I do with it? A URL would be fine if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty. But I'd like to, actually.

you can send mail with it :)
You don't need to have it running unless you want to use it as an SMTP server.
You can just select "sendmail" in the Mail preferences and it wuill do it's job fine

Doesn't sendmail have to be started up or something? It doesn't seem to work if I just check the radio button.

I does work
Send a small email to yourself and you will see
The reason you probably don't think it works is because you don's see a "sending mail" type thing.

Everything you need is located on sendmail.org (you just have to wade through it) or there are links there pointing you to various other resources online. Also, don't forget to check out comp.mail.sendmail.
Finally, you may consider getting Eric Allman's "Bat" book.

Okay, I've got

MAILSERVER=-YES-

set in /etc/hostconfig. That didn't work,
so when I try to start it manually by
running the startup script at

/System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail

it craps out with the following error:

[samantha:Library/StartupItems/Sendmail] root# 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory

I've tried changing permission modes on /etc/mail and the files within, all to no effect.

I'm stumped. Does anyone else have an idea?

Is it possible to use Sendmail to RECEIVE mail? What I would like to do is set up my domain with a web sever (Apache) and an incoming mail server, so that mail sent to my domain would end up on my Mac, and other people could use my machine as their incoming mail server.

I've had no trouble using Sendmail instead of a SMTP server, although it doesn't seem that reliable. I've tried going through the logs to discover if messages I'm sending with Sendmail are not getting to their recipients because of something wrong with Sendmail, or something wrong with the destination server. The problem seems to mostly involve mail sent to AOL (which is IMAP, I believe), and web-based e-mail services like Yahoo and Hotmail (which I think may also be IMAP). Anyone have any idea about this?

Originally posted by MasonMcD

How do I install it and get it up and running? I've gone to http://www.sendmail.org, but it doesn't cover the basics, like how to turn it on, just compiling and configuring.

What can I do with it? A URL would be fine if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty. But I'd like to, actually.

There's a secure replacement for sendmail called qmail. It can be found, naturally, at http://www.qmail.org

Marmoset, I have the same problem.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I for one would like to know. I don't feel like being the first to port qmail as I have yet to successfully compile anything (./configure cannot recognize MacOS PB)

At first I was happy to see a replacement for SMTP, beause my ISP offer no mail service. But is sendmail reliable? I noticed that past days my mail is not sent. Looking at the var/log/mail.log, I see something like

Dec 9 01:40:05 d217-120 sendmail[279]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(latourfl): /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: World writable directory

And I can associate a msg klike that with all msg not sent.

Is setting
MAILSERVER=-YES-
in /etc/hostconfig is related to sendmail or mailserver is different from sendmail?

I'm new to UNIX, but I'd like to understand...

Yes, it is possible to receive mail with sendmail.

Your email address will be {your username}@{your computer's name}. Your computer's name has to be a name by which it can be reached by the outside world. That is, if you decide to call your computerwww.apple.com in the network prefs panel, you won't be able to get any mail. Check out http://www.dyndns.org for info on making your computer findable for mail delivery if you have a dynamic IP address.

Incidentally, has anyone had any luck checking their local mail in Mail.app? I have the setting checked, and it's looking for mail in /var/mail. That's where any mail sent to me on the computer shows up, and I can check it using the terminal mail program alright, but Mail.app won't find it, for whatever reason.

I'd especially like to be able to use it as root, since administrative messages from various programs show up in /var/mail/root, and terminal mail is just lame.

I use sendmail for every message that I send (with the option in Mail preferences), but sometime I should get an error because my messages are not sent. I don't know how to set these error messages to go directly in my inbox. I don't know why, but I received some of these a few times. But now, searching around my hard drive and trying different thins with the terminal, I found plenty of error messages that I never received. I think that what I did was to type Mail in the terminal. But what is the difference between this mail and the "normal" one ? I'm not skilled with Unix, and maybe what I did was to get my new messages through the terminal, but it indicated that I had 8 messages in my real inbox, which is not the case for my own mailbox set in the Mail application (the GUI one !!!).

Cant someone help me !!!

[Edited by latourfl on 02-17-2001 at 02:18 PM]

Back